"Private" Folder

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by horsted, Apr 5, 2010.

1. Hi,

Just another suggestion. How about a folder that can't be accessed from the internet? This could be where scripts, spare images, etc are stored, and from which web pages could extract required files using server-side include.

This system is used by my previous webhost and I think it's a useful idea. What they do is provide a private folder and an htdocs folder. Everything in the htdocs folder can be seen from the internet.

I don't know whether it would be possible/easy to implement such a system, but it would be handy. I don't know if it would be necessary to have an htdocs file - all I'm suggesting is a private folder that contains files which are inaccessible to site visitors.

I'm guessing that it would be possible for user's to create their own version of such a system using the Application Starting Point tool, but it would probably be easier if Winhost modified the system generally to include a private file on every account.

As I say, it's just a suggestion.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 14, 2015
  2. Ray

Ray

By default folders such as App_Data, App_Code, and Bin are protected in a way that cannot be directly accessed from the Internet/Browser.