Point domain to winhost but leave email

Discussion in 'DNS/Domain names' started by ShellyFM, Sep 9, 2011.

1. I have the Winhost Basic plan. I have a domain name registered with another provider that currently handles both my web hosting and email. I would like to change the domain to use my Winhost Basic plan for hosting BUT keep my email where it is. How do I accomplish this? Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 14, 2015
  2. Elshadriel

Elshadriel Winhost Staff

First, review your DNS information at Winhost by logging into your Control Panel. Click the Domains tab. Click the Manage link next to the domain name. This will provide you the DNS records.

If you plan to use your other provider as your DNS host, copy the relevant A record information (domain name, www, ftp).

If you plan to use Winhost as your DNS host, change your name servers to point to:

ns1.Winhost.com
    ns2.Winhost.com
    ns3.Winhost.com

Obtain the MX record from your other provider. Copy and replace it in your Winhost Control Panel.

3. Am I able to do this with the Basic account? I want to verify that I'm able to do this with my account level because I thought I read elsewhere that the ip address for the Basic account is shared and not unique.

Thanks for your help!

4. Elshadriel

Elshadriel Winhost Staff

Yes, IIS7 will provide further name resolution using the host header.

5. Do I need to do any further configuration to have II7 resolve the name? Or is setting the A record with my domain host to the IP address listed in my Winhost account the only change I need to make?

6. Elshadriel

Elshadriel Winhost Staff

It's the only change you need to make.

7. Great! Thanks so much!

8. I'm having trouble making this work. My other host is 1and1. I went on that site and changed the A-record to reference the IP address in my Winhost account.

Now, when I access the domain name from the 1and1 account in my browser, I get a "Webpage unavailable" error page. The domain name I'm trying to point at my Winhost account is http://dev.orlandotaxiservice.com.

The domain I originally registered with my Winhost account is http://transportation.orlandotaxiservice.com.

So, I would expect that when I go to dev.orlandotaxiservice.com I would see the same content as what is currently at transportation.orlandotaxiservice.com.

I greatly appreciate any assistance you can provide. Thanks!

9. Elshadriel

Elshadriel Winhost Staff

You should actually change the domain name to orlandotaxiservice.com, and then add both dev.orlandotaxiservice.com and transportation.orlandotaxiservice.com as subdomains using the Subdomain Manager in your Control Panel.

10. That's my end result goal, but I was hoping to test it all out with a subdomain first in case there was an issue and the site would be offline as a result. Is that not possible?

11. Elshadriel

Elshadriel Winhost Staff

It's possible, but you still need to add dev.orlandotaxiservice.com as a subdomain before it will resolve correctly.

12. So, how do I add the subdomain, dev.orlandotaxiservice.com, without adding the root domain, orlandotaxiservice.com?

13. Elshadriel

Elshadriel Winhost Staff

Go to Winhost Control Panel -> Sites -> Manage. There is a button called Subdomain Manager that you use to add subdomains.