please help

Discussion in 'Site Programming, Development and Design' started by bcgould, Apr 21, 2010.

1. I am trying to install phpBB to my site.
    Under site manager I went to MS SQL 2008, clicked add, and put in 3 letters in the box provided for a name (dnd).
    Clicking manage I can now see:
    Database Name: DB_7154_dnd
    Database Server: s02.Winhost.com
    Database User: DB_7154_dnd_user
    Database Password: ***** [Edit]
    Assigned Quota: 100 MB [Edit]
    Usage: 1 MB

I then went back to site manager and went to DSN. Under list of SQL DSN I clicked Create. For Data Source Name I put in 3 letters (again dnd) and was told the SQL Server Name can be anything I like, so I again put in dnd. Giving me the following info:
    Data Source Name SQL Server
    DSN_wintertr_dnd dnd

Now I go to install phpBB and it ask for the following information:
    Database type: I set to MSSQL Server 2000+ via ODBC
    Database server hostname or DSN: I have set to everything and anything i can think of put i started by putting in dnd, then local host then my domain and so forth. <-- oh and I tried the s02.Winhost.com as well
    Database server port: I left this blank as it instructs to do so unless using no standard ports
    Database name: I have tried both DSN_wintertr_dnd and DB_7154_dnd and then just dnd
    Database username: I have tried DB_7154_dnd_user and leaving it blank
    Database password: I have of course tried my password and leaving it blank

Prefix for tables in database: I left the default phpbb_

When I click next I get the following error:
    Could not connect to the database, see error message below.
    [Microsoft][ODBC Driver Manager] Data source name not found and no default driver specified

I am going to let you know I am very new to this, but not brainless. But as I have been at this for 6+ hours I am now resorting to begging for help! please, does anyone know what i have done wrong, how to do it right, and can give me a step by step???

*yes, if i can get this to work i do plan on changing the names listed above for security purposes

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 14, 2015
  2. Update. This is the latest combination of information i entered:

Database type: MSSQL Server 2000+ via ODBC

Database server hostname or DSN: DSN_wintertr_dnd

Database server port:

Database name: DB_7154_dnd

Database username: DB_7154_dnd_user

Database password: ●●●●●●●●

Prefix for tables in database: phpbb_

And it nets me this:
    [Microsoft][ODBC SQL Server Driver][DBNETLIB]SQL Server does not exist or access denied.

3. Ray

Ray

Where is this application residing at? Is it inside the Winhost server or is it on your computer?

4. Its on the server. I downloaded the phpBB install, decompressed it, ftp-ed it to my site. You can access it by going to www.wintertree.org/dnd/install and then click the index.php

5. Ray

Ray

How do you have the DSN setup on your database, what do you have for the SQL Server name?

6. I don't understand the first part of your question - i went under dsn and then List of SQL DSN I clicked create and then typed dnd in the box for data source and dnd in the box for sql server name.

so i have this

List of SQL DSN
    Data Source Name ||| SQL Server
    DSN_wintertr_dnd ||| dnd

7. Ray

Ray

The SQL server should be s02.Winhost.com

8. ok - went to dsn - deleted what was there and created a new one:

List of SQL DSN
    Data Source Name ||| SQL Server
    DSN_wintertr_dnd ||| s02.Winhost.com

still same problem

I am now putting in s02.Winhost.com for the Database server hostname or DSN on the phpBB install

9. holy crap i got it to work....

Thanks so much for the help!!! :):):):):)

10. How

How did you get it to work? I am having the exact same issues.

11. Ray

Ray

What exactly is the error message you are getting. The very first post of this thread is symptomatic to a DSN issue, you maybe having a different problem.

12. I am having the same exact problem with account 0006271. My database info is as follows:

Database Name: DB_10887_forums
    Database Server: s03.Winhost.com
    Database User: DB_10887_forums_user

the exact error message I am getting when trying to install phpbb is:

[Microsoft][ODBC Driver Manager] Data source name not found and no default driver specified

The only two options I have under database type are mySQL (which ya'll don't offer), and MSSQL 2000+ via ODBC

Just for reference I am installing it on the server from the location:

http://mmguildn.w03.Winhost.com/Forums/install/index.php

Do need to mess with the DSN section of the control panel?

13. Ray

Ray

14. That article was of no help though the problem was the lack of setting up the DSN.

For future reference what you need to do in setting up phpbb is:

1.) Create database in control panel
    2.) Create SQL DSN in control panel (don't do access, it can't use access)
    3.) Set server type to MSSQL
    4.) hostname put your DSN_whatever_whatever instead of the server
    5.) leave server port blank
    6.) Enter database name from control panel info
    7.) Enter DB username from control panel info
    8.) Enter DB password from control panel info

And it was working.

I have set up forums on many different web hosts using many different control panels and situations. This was by far the hardest to get rolling. It isn't that the overall process is actually DIFFICULT it's that it isn't the least bit intuitive at ALL. You may have a lot of very smart engineering brains, but the typical customer isn't going to be able to figure this out by themselves. You might consider making a specific phpBB KB on setting it up with your system, especially since phpBB is one of the few decent forum software that works with MSSQL. The other is Yet another Forum, but it has a MUCH smaller distribution base. phpBB is actually the most used forum software in the world, last I heard.