phpBB3 Install Problem

Discussion in 'Third-party applications' started by KHAI, Jul 24, 2012.

1. I've been trying to install phpBB3. I created a MS SQL database and then used the App Installer to install the system on my site, both without any apparent errors. I'm now stuck on the Install tab of phpBB3. I can get to step 3: "Database settings".

Database type: MSSQL Server 2005+ [Native]
    Database server hostname or DSN:
    I've tried a variety of things here, including a DSN created using the DSN Manager Tool, leaving it blank, and entering the Database Server returned when the database was created: s05.Winhost.com.
    Database server port: left blank
    Database name: DB_99999_forumbase
    Database name: DB_99999_forumbase_user
    (where 99999 is replaced by the number returned when the database was created)
    Database password:
    The site password for Site Manager
    Prefix for tables in database: phpbb_
    The default

Currently, I'm getting an error: :confused:

Could not connect to the database, see error message below.
    SQLSTATE: 08001 code: 2 message: [Microsoft][SQL Server Native Client 10.0]Named Pipes Provider: Could not open a connection to SQL Server [2]. SQLSTATE: HYT00 code: 0 message: [Microsoft][SQL Server Native Client 10.0]Login timeout expired SQLSTATE: 08001 code: 2 message: [Microsoft][SQL Server Native Client 10.0]A network-related or instance-specific error has occurred while establishing a connection to SQL Server. Server is not found or not accessible. Check if instance name is correct and if SQL Server is configured to allow remote connections.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 14, 2015
  2. ComputerMan

ComputerMan Winhost Staff

Try not to use a DSN. Try to use the Host name. In this case the host name should be: s05.Winhost.com

The port number put this: 1433

Are you sure that the password is the same for the Site Manager? Make sure you are using the correct password by logging into the SQL database using SQL Server Management Studio. You can read our knowledge base article on How to connect to SQL Server using SQL Server Management Studio If you are able to login then you are using the correct password.

If not then it might be possible that you will need to change the password. This can be completed in the control panel's MS SQL Manager

Then Click on "Manage" next to the SQL database you wish to manage. Click on "Edit" next to password and change it to another password. WARNING: If you current site has a web application and it is using this SQL database. Make sure you change the password for the other web application too. Or check the current connection string to see what password the web application is using to connect to the SQL database. That way you don't need to change the password for the database. ;)

3. Question about using SQL Server Management Studio

I can't figure out how to login using SQL Server Management Studio either. The instructions in your knowledgebase article state:

Open SQL Server Management Studio, the Connect to Server window will open. Select/enter the following:

* Server Type: Database Engine
    * Server Name: [The SQL server name can be found in the Control Panel by navigating to Sites -> MS SQL Manager -> Manage]
    * Authentication: SQL Server Authentication
    * Login: [SQL database Login name]
    * Password: [SQL database Password]

What should go in "Server Name"? Since this has to be a remote connection, shouldn't this be a URL something like

tcp:s05.Winhost.com\DB_99999_forumbase