Permission

Discussion in 'Databases' started by saurabh, May 9, 2011.

1. How do i grant permission for insert, update, delete and restore? coz whenever I try to restore using sql server management studio i get error "execute permission was denied on the object 'xp_fixeddrives' database 'mssqlsystemresource', schema 'sys' plz help...

2. Ray

Ray

You cannot use the Restore command on your SSMS with your db login. Your db login only has dbo rights to your database. To run the restore function on the SQL server you will need SA rights which we cannot give you because it will compromise the other databases we host. Look at this kb article for information on the Restore/Backup tool offered to you in the Winhost control panel.

http://support.Winhost.com/KB/a771/how-do-i-generate-or-restore-a-backup-of-my-database.aspx

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 14, 2015
  3. Thanx Ray

I have uploaded [DatabaseName]_backup.bak file to app_data folder but when i try to restore it, i get error message "Restore failed.Please contact support for details."? I really don't know what are the possible reason for it. I have made backup from sql server express edition. Plz help...

4. Ray

Ray

For something like this I suggest you open a ticket to support about this issue. Make sure you open the ticket from within your Winhost control panel so that the account information is attached to the ticket.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 14, 2015
  5. Thanx Ray

I have generated the ticket.

6. We got your ticket and just an fyi to anyone who maybe looking at this thread, if you create a .bak of your database using SQL 2008 R2 it cannot restored to a SQL 2008 database in our environment.

Easiest way to fix this issue is to recreate the .bak in an older version of SQL and you should have no problems being able restore the database.

7. Ray

Ray

We now offer SQL 2008 R2. If you have a SQL 2008 Express R2, you can create a SQL 2008 R2 database off our system and use the Restore/Backup tool to put in our SQL 2008 R2 server. If you are on the basic plan you may need to drop your database and recreate it using the R2 version. Don't forget you may want to backup up your database before you drop it. Once you drop it the data will be lost.