Out of Disk Space Error

Discussion in 'Pre-sales questions' started by jsweeney, Jan 25, 2010.

1. jsweeney

jsweeney Guest

How would your support staff deal with a revenue-generating website that was down for the following reason:

Could not load file or assembly 'AjaxControlToolkit' or one of its dependencies. There is not enough space on the disk. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x80070070)

The customer submits a support ticket about it, but by the time the support staff checks the site the problem has resolved itself.

2. A theoretical question could only have a theoretical answer. I don't get the point.

3. Guest

Guest Guest

This error happened yesterday on a site that I maintain with a different hosting company. The website files occupy less the 1/2 of 1% of my allotment, and my database log file was at 40%. The database sits on a server with over 1000 other databases. I submitted a support ticket, but by the time they got to it the problem had resolved. I can see no reason for an out of disk space error. They will not provide a reason.

By the way, this is actually more than a theoretical question. I really would like to know what kind of response I'd get from your support staff. As a potential customer, asking "what's the point" is not helping you gain my trust in your support abilities.

4. Ray

Ray

The error...

Could not load file or assembly 'AjaxControlToolkit' or one of its dependencies. There is not enough space on the disk. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x80070070)

...generally means that the drive where the assembly is being loaded has reached its max capacity and couldn't load anymore assemblies until the space was cleared. There are many reasons for this. Typically the assembly being loaded when the process is spunned up is within the %systemroot%. This is only a guess; but I suspect the harddrive was used up by the virtual memory. When the server starts consuming its primary memory which is the RAM, the virtual memory is used which is on the hard driver. I suspect that the primary memory was high and started to also utilize alot of the virtual memory. Then the service was recycled or the memory was cleared up thus also help reduce the virtual memory which also help free alot of the space. In all honesty there's no way of knowing unless a sys admin looked at the server directly and verified the root cause.
    On our end I can only comment that we have monitoring systems that have certain conditions and thressholds on the server. When the system drive reaches about 90% capacity, our systems adminsitrators will get a page (no matter what time of the day or night) and that will alert them to check the server before the issue negatively impacts the customer.

5. Guest

Guest Guest

Thank you! Your willingness to search for and admit that the problem is potentially with the host machine has secured you a new customer. I have a new site going up in about two months - I will host it with Winhost. Also, I will begin the transfer of the other accounts I manage.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 14, 2015