One site and one web service

Discussion in 'Site Programming, Development and Design' started by PHB2, May 7, 2013.

1. Hi there

I have the basic plan and would like to have 2 things:

1. a web site at my main domain name: www.lifescribblr.com
    2. a web service at www.lifescribblr.com/webservice

This seems to work fine, however each time I deploy the website it will only deploy it if I confirm to deleting all files and folders in the directory I am deploying it to. This means each time it deletes my /webservice folder.

Is there a better way to do things so I don't have to redeploy the web service every time I deploy the web site?

FYI, I am using VS 2012 and use the 'Publish web site' option to send the web pages to my web site. Could I manually FTP the files from my local PC to my website, or is there something else that the 'Publish web site' option performs in VS 2012?

2. This is exactly what I do. Assuming you're using an ASP.NET platform it is simply nothing more than copying the source to the destination. The host will automatically do JIT compilation. Simply overwrite your .aspx, ascx, .dll, etc and the rest should take care of itself.

3. Many thanks for the reply, most useful and I think that from now on I will use FTP to push my website files to my website.

Cheers

Mark