ok, then what?

Discussion in 'Pre-sales questions' started by squarerfish, Mar 3, 2010.

1. ok, I like what I have seen on the forums so far, and I am about to sign up.
    Just wanted to get some feedback before I do :)

This looks like an excellent place to host my development site, and get everything tight before my website goes "live" - maybe the site could even run live in this environment for a few months until traffic picks up (hopefully :) ).

I read somewhere on your site that you are not striving to be "all things to all people" - I appreciate the honesty! I also wanted to get your feedback on what to do when/if my site "outgrows" your hosting. So what happens when my site gets 5,000 visitors a day or 50,000 a day ?

Do you have any suggestions on what I should do with the site then? I am a developer, so I want to focus on app development, not hosting my own server(s). Are there other companies that can, and do handle such traffic? Can you suggest any?

Anyways, I think this looks like a perfect solution for me - I can have a development environment running 24/7 to test out bugs and new functionality for my site - I am just concerned on what I should do if my website idea turns out to be a good one. I know it would be a good problem to have, but I just want to be a little prepared! :)

thanks for any feedback you guys have!

2. Ray

Ray

We do offer different plans that can suite your needs when you first starting of. Start of with the Basic plan which is $4.95 a month. Then you can grow to our Max plan and if need go to our Ultimate plan.

Now it is hard to say how busy your site will be by estimating the number of visitors. Even at 50k hits a day, it can still be relatively small in reference to the resources required to service this request. It really all depends on what your site will do.

The best thing I can suggest is to use SmarterStats. This is a web analyzing tool free for our custoemr and it is included on the package plan. Use this tool to get a feel of how active your site is. If you know you are getting 1000 hits a day and it is only generating about 5% server activity then 50K a day should not be a big problem.

3. reports

Ok, Thanks Ray - I have signed up and loaded my application, and done some testing and playing around in the application.
    I went to view the reports - what should I be looking at?
    I see the "Server utilization" reports - but they don't really give me much information it shows the page hits, and avg bytes in, and a score?

Thanks for you help!

4. Ray

Ray

There should be a bandwidth usage report in SmarterStats. You should use that to gauge the activity of your site.