Not Receiving Mail on Alias Accounts

Discussion in 'Email' started by jlenau, May 7, 2012.

1. Domain and domain e-mail are working great. Domain e-mail is accomplished with Google aps.

I have set up two pointers to the main domain and the URL requests work for the domain pointers, but if an e-mail is sent to the pointed domains they are not forwarded to the main domain e-mail.

The main domain and the pointer domain e-mail addresses are the same and worked properly prior to the switch to Winhost.

Is there something I am missing in the setup?

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 14, 2015
  2. The pointer domains wouldn't forward email to Google because pointer domain alias email isn't forwarded. We add an MX record for the pointer that makes the mail work. So by default, mail only works for pointer domains if we host the email service for the primary domain.

I'm not sure you could make MX changes that would do what you want to do. I haven't heard of anyone trying it anyway, and I don't think anyone here has attempted it as a test.

3. Ok, Figured it out.

First need to add the pointer domain alias(s) to the Google Apps as an alias to the main domain name account.

Second change MX records on Winhost for the domain alias to the same google e-mail servers as provided in Step 4 in this post:

http://forum.Winhost.com/showthread.php?t=225

That is it. Send a test e-mail to verify.

Again [email protected] must exist to use [email protected]. But e-mail addressed to [email protected] will be arrive in the inbox of [email protected] if the above steps are followed.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 14, 2015
  4. Nice! Thanks for posting the steps.