newby with web

Discussion in 'Pre-sales questions' started by Guest, Feb 17, 2010.

1. Guest

Guest Guest

hi! i'm from hungary so excuse my english...
    i have applications running on several laptops (vs 2008,vb with embedded sql ce 3.5 where the schemas are the same) i would like to send data for a web server (from the same table of each sql ce several rows at a time ) and after i have them seen and maybe edited will let them up to my web page to make visitors to search them...
    i know it is quite complex as a question, but i have never done anything like this .. so anyone can help to point me to the right direction would be nice!
    (can i fully use sql server provided since dont need to synch them etc)
    Thanks in advance..

2. Ray

Ray

First you will need to publish your database to our SQL 2008 Server. The web server and the SQL server are on two different hardware.

http://support.Winhost.com/KB/a694/publishing-your-sql-2008-database-to-Winhost-sql-2008-server.aspx

Then you will need to setup a connection string so that your web application can connect to the SQL server.

You may want to look at this kb article as a quick example on how to setup a connection string.

http://support.Winhost.com/KB/a688/how-to-query-sql-database-with-asp-using-dsn-less-connection.aspx

After that you simply add the necessary SQL statements, and have the results displayed on your web pages.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 14, 2015
  3. Guest

Guest Guest

Thank you for the quick reply but something is not clear..
    my applications on different laptops has embedded sql 3.5.I want them to be able to upload selected rows /the table schemas are the same in all sql ce /
    Is it possible to use your sql server for that?
    I also would like to control all of the uploaded rows before i put it for public wievs..

4. Ray

Ray

We don't support SQL CE, so you'll probably need to upsize your SQL CE to SQL 2008, then migrate your SQL 2008 database to our SQL 2008 Server.

5. Guest

Guest Guest

Can i set sql ce 3.5 in my applications with the above explained connstrings to connect to your database if i have created one in your side?

so all the laptops suppose to use sql express 2008 instead of sql ce embedded?

what do you mean upsize

Pls Ray, show me the solution..

6. Ray

Ray

What I mean by upsize is to move your SQL CE database to SQL 2008.

7. Guest

Guest Guest

sorry... i m a dumb....pls explain this

8. Ray

Ray

SQL CE is a compact edition. We do not support or offer SQL CE. We only support and offer SQL 2008. So for you to move SQL CE to SQL 2008, you need to first do it on your local computer or your personal PC (migrate SQL CE to SQL 2008), then once you have done that, you migrate the SQL 2008 database that is on your personal computer to our SQL 2008 Server.

9. Guest

Guest Guest

how to move sql ce to sql 2008?

so all my applications on different pc-s have to move to sql 2008?

Ray pls help

ok! i migrate my pc to sql 2008, and migrate to your server.can all other applications sent data to your server if they are sql ce embedded?

10. Ray

Ray

If your application is looking for a SQL CE then we cannot help you. Basically you will need to update your application so that it is looking for and that it is using a SQL 2008 database. That will require some coding/programming on your end.

11. Guest

Guest Guest

that is clear... thank you