New Web Site

Discussion in 'Pre-sales questions' started by Guest, Aug 10, 2010.

1. Guest

Guest Guest

I developed my website in Expression Web and have a SQL Express Database, developed in Visual Studio 2010 as a data source. I also have some Silverlight xap files. I'm learing as I go here and have made it this far, but I have questions about deploying and managing the site and connecting to the DB. Your forum answers are pretty thorough, but if I asked rookie questions can I get a complete answer?

An important to the point question on what you support. I recently upgraded to 64 bit and upgraded my SQL Express to Microsoft SQL Server 2008 Express Edition with Advanced Services (64-bit). This is version 10.50.1600 RTM. Can I publish this to your SQL Server 20008? I would really like to use the publishing wizard in Visual Studio for the Data Base and the Publishing Wizard in Expression web for the site. It's after I get it all to your site that I have questions. Should I sign up or are you running for the door?

2. Ray

Ray

First off it don't matter what version of operating system your computer is running on, a web page is a web page. To get it published on our server you will need to use FTP. I suspect you are using Visual Studio so here is a KB article for it.

http://support.Winhost.com/KB/a483/how-to-deploy-visual-studio-20082005-visual-web-developer.aspx

Now for the bad news. Your SQL Express version "10.50.1600" is a R2 version. Unfortunately we do not support SQL 2008 R2 at this time. You will need to try and download SQL 2008 Express that is not a R2 version. This is the older version before R2.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 14, 2015
  3. Guest

Guest Guest

Thanks Ray,

The 2008 R2 version has become a problem. This DB started out on SQL 2005 Express and has migrated rapidly as I upgraded software. I'll see if I can save it in a previous version and then get back to Winhost. BTW, I saw your ad on the ASP.Net forum page.

Thanks,

Bob

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 14, 2015
  4. Ray

Ray

If you have SQL 2005 Express then that should not be a problem only SQL 2008 R2 is an issue for now.