New to all this domain, email

Discussion in 'Email' started by maric01, Jun 12, 2012.

1. Hi,

My client is having a domain www.domainSource.com registered with another company. He also have another domain www.domainDestination.com with another company. The domainDestination.com is pointing at my Winhost ultimate plan and in a couple of week, all traffic to domainSource.com is gonna go at domainDestination.com.

My client have his email set with [email protected] but he would like to switch to have his email at [email protected] and all the email sended at email@domainSource are gonna be redirected at [email protected].

It is something possible ?
    What are the step the acheive that cause I really don't know where to start ?
    Do I need to ask for some specific change at the company where domainSource.com is other than a change in DNS ip ?

Thanks for all the help

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 14, 2015
  2. So...if I'm following you, domainDestination.com is a site on your account here but the name servers for the domain do not point to nsx.Winhost.com?

So you direct traffic to the account here using an a record, or?

Easiest solution:
    1. Change name servers on domainDestination.com to point to Winhost.
    2. Add domainSource.com to the domainDestination.com site as a domain pointer.

You can add MX records to domainSource.com and do all kinds of redirecting, but if mail and web are going to domainDestination.com, you can get rid of the services for domainSource.com wherever they are and point everything at Winhost.

Less headaches, less points of potential failure.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2015
  3. Hi Hank,

Thanks for the help ;-) But I'm still a little confused on what to do. My client is actually having all the mail setup with domainSource.com. Recently, he bought another domaine name www.hockeyballemtl.com with the DNS ispointing at NS1.Winhost.COM, NS2.Winhost.COM and NS3.Winhost.COM.

What we want to do is to redirect all WWW traffic from www.domainSource.com at www.hockeyballemtl.com. He also want that email sent at [email protected] goes at [email protected] (He only want to get his email at [email protected])

Thanks again ;-)

4. use hockeyballemtl.com as your primary domain name for the site account and add domainSource.com as a domain pointer and then enable the domain pointer email alias.
    http://support.Winhost.com/KB/a546/domain-pointer-email-aliases.aspx

Make sure both domain's using the same MX record or just use Winhost Nameserver.
    'nsx.Winhost.com'
    x = 1,2,3