new asp.net 4 website with membership

Discussion in 'General troubleshooting' started by 0023097, Nov 17, 2012.

1. Hey,

I just created a asp,net mvc4 website and published it. This is just a test website to see how things work. So it has all default mvc4 template (except i changed the css a bit)

I used the publish tool, and the website is working, but the membership stuff does not.

I have the tables in there, but I had an error where it says the Role Manager was not enabled. So i enabled it. Now i am getting an error which i do not know how to solve. It says

"To call this method, the "Membership.Provider" property must be an instance of "ExtendedMembershipProvider"."

Which I assume is a programming issue. However, this is all default from the asp.net mvc4 template, so I would assume it would work right away.

2. Elshadriel

Elshadriel Winhost Staff

What's the full error message?

3. Server Error in '/' Application.

To call this method, the "Membership.Provider" property must be an instance of "ExtendedMembershipProvider".

Description: An unhandled exception occurred during the execution of the current web request. Please review the stack trace for more information about the error and where it originated in the code.

Exception Details: System.InvalidOperationException: To call this method, the "Membership.Provider" property must be an instance of "ExtendedMembershipProvider".

Source Error:

An unhandled exception was generated during the execution of the current web request. Information regarding the origin and location of the exception can be identified using the exception stack trace below.

Stack Trace:

[InvalidOperationException: To call this method, the "Membership.Provider" property must be an instance of "ExtendedMembershipProvider".]
    WebMatrix.WebData.WebSecurity.VerifyProvider() +75
    WebMatrix.WebData.WebSecurity.Login(String userName, String password, Boolean persistCookie) +14
    projBroadcast.Controllers.AccountController.Login(LoginModel model, String returnUrl) +81
    lambda_method(Closure , ControllerBase , Object[] ) +119
    System.Web.Mvc.ActionMethodDispatcher.Execute(ControllerBase controller, Object[] parameters) +14
    System.Web.Mvc.ReflectedActionDescriptor.Execute(ControllerContext controllerContext, IDictionary`2 parameters) +182
    System.Web.Mvc.ControllerActionInvoker.InvokeActionMethod(ControllerContext controllerContext, ActionDescriptor actionDescriptor, IDictionary`2 parameters) +27
    System.Web.Mvc.Async.<>c__DisplayClass42.<BeginInvokeSynchronousActionMethod>b__41() +28
    System.Web.Mvc.Async.<>c__DisplayClass8`1.<BeginSynchronous>b__7(IAsyncResult _) +10
    System.Web.Mvc.Async.WrappedAsyncResult`1.End() +50
    System.Web.Mvc.Async.AsyncControllerActionInvoker.EndInvokeActionMethod(IAsyncResult asyncResult) +32
    System.Web.Mvc.Async.<>c__DisplayClass39.<BeginInvokeActionMethodWithFilters>b__33() +58
    System.Web.Mvc.Async.<>c__DisplayClass4f.<InvokeActionMethodFilterAsynchronously>b__49() +225
    System.Web.Mvc.Async.<>c__DisplayClass4f.<InvokeActionMethodFilterAsynchronously>b__49() +225
    System.Web.Mvc.Async.<>c__DisplayClass37.<BeginInvokeActionMethodWithFilters>b__36(IAsyncResult asyncResult) +10
    System.Web.Mvc.Async.AsyncControllerActionInvoker.EndInvokeActionMethodWithFilters(IAsyncResult asyncResult) +34
    System.Web.Mvc.Async.<>c__DisplayClass2a.<BeginInvokeAction>b__20() +24
    System.Web.Mvc.Async.<>c__DisplayClass25.<BeginInvokeAction>b__22(IAsyncResult asyncResult) +99
    System.Web.Mvc.Async.AsyncControllerActionInvoker.EndInvokeAction(IAsyncResult asyncResult) +27
    System.Web.Mvc.<>c__DisplayClass1d.<BeginExecuteCore>b__18(IAsyncResult asyncResult) +14
    System.Web.Mvc.Async.<>c__DisplayClass4.<MakeVoidDelegate>b__3(IAsyncResult ar) +23
    System.Web.Mvc.Async.WrappedAsyncResult`1.End() +55
    System.Web.Mvc.Controller.EndExecuteCore(IAsyncResult asyncResult) +39
    System.Web.Mvc.Async.<>c__DisplayClass4.<MakeVoidDelegate>b__3(IAsyncResult ar) +23
    System.Web.Mvc.Controller.EndExecute(IAsyncResult asyncResult) +29
    System.Web.Mvc.Controller.System.Web.Mvc.Async.IAsyncController.EndExecute(IAsyncResult asyncResult) +10
    System.Web.Mvc.<>c__DisplayClass8.<BeginProcessRequest>b__3(IAsyncResult asyncResult) +25
    System.Web.Mvc.MvcHandler.EndProcessRequest(IAsyncResult asyncResult) +31
    System.Web.Mvc.MvcHandler.System.Web.IHttpAsyncHandler.EndProcessRequest(IAsyncResult result) +9
    System.Web.CallHandlerExecutionStep.System.Web.HttpApplication.IExecutionStep.Execute() +9629708
    System.Web.HttpApplication.ExecuteStep(IExecutionStep step, Boolean& completedSynchronously) +155

Version Information: Microsoft .NET Framework Version:4.0.30319; ASP.NET Version:4.0.30319.17929

4. Last edited by a moderator: Oct 14, 2015
  5. Elshadriel

Elshadriel Winhost Staff

Sorry for the late response. The only thing I can think of is that you're not using the correct ASP.NET Membership provider, and it's missing the .dll's. If you created this site using WebMatrix, then you might be using the Simple Membership provider which is different from the one in our Knowledge Base article.