My website and wordpress

Discussion in 'Site Programming, Development and Design' started by Debbie, Dec 3, 2014.

1. Hello,
    I currently have a website. I just used an app extension for wordpress. I was taken to a page where I could rename the subdomain so it would be like www.domain.com/wordpress I did indeed name it like that but in the future if I wanted to have my website just be wordpress how would I change it to www.domain.com and have it load my current wordpress page? I ask just because if I didn't give it a subdomain then it would have just been www.domain.com.

Thanks.

2. ComputerMan

ComputerMan Winhost Staff

Hi Debbie,

It sounds as if you just want to install Wordpress in the root of the site account. That way if someone comes to your site at www.domain.com and domain.com it will just go to the wordpress site right?

If that is the case I would suggest you install it directly into the root. What does that mean?

If you installed Wordpress using our App installer in the control panel. It will ask you where you want to install it. For example it will look something like this:

www.domain.com/wordpress

The /wordpress mean that you're going to install it into a subdirectory if you leave this field as /wordpress

If you remove this field in the application installer in the control panel and click on the "Install" button it will then be install directly into the root.

WARNING: This will delete everything on your site currently in the root. We strongly suggest you make a backup of your current site using an FTP client BEFORE you install Wordpress into the root. You can use an FTP client like FileZilla. FileZilla can be downloaded here: https://filezilla-project.org/ To learn how to connect to your site via FTP using FileZilla please read our knowledge base article here: https://support.Winhost.com/kb/a660/configuring-filezilla-to-access-your-web-site.aspx

Once connected go ahead and download all of your files from your site account and keep them there for safe keeping.

Then go ahead and install Wordpress onto the root.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 14, 2015
  3. Hi, thanks for getting back to me. At this point, I created a wordpress blog that goes www.domain.com/blog so it is just a sub part of my website but now I want it it to be my actual website. How do I put that in my root folder? I already have my blog up and running but now I want it to be my main website. Thanks.

4. ComputerMan

Before you do anything to your web site files. Make a backup first of your sites files locally onto your computer and keeping the same directory structure . That way if you mess up something you can always revert back.

Then do the following:

I found this web page article here: http://codex.wordpress.org/Moving_WordPress

Read the section "Moving Directories On Your Existing Server".

5. When you're ready to move to the root, go to Settings > General in the Word Press admin section and remove the subdirectory from the path in WordPress Address (URL) and Site Address (URL). Then just move the files and you should be good to go.

You want to make the change to the admin section before you move the files or it will be a pain to access admin after the move.

ComputerMan likes this.
  6. Hi guys! I did try to follow the directions and I think ended up making an error. I hope I didn't lose my blog. What I did was I went to my wordpress settings here http://codex.wordpress.org/Settings_General_SubPanel and I changed the two URLS to my domain name. I think I messed it up. I hit save thinking it would overwrite my current website. Now, when I go to domain/blog it shows my blog but with no CSS styles and kind of connects with my current website. Weird. But when I try to go to domain.com/blog/wp-admin, it shows an error page like it doesn't exist. Any idea how I can fix this? I can't seem to even login to my wordpress now.
    Thanks.

PS- Sorry Michael, I missed your last post with the directions. I hope we can fix this.

7. Hi, just an update. I can't remove my last post but I ended up just re-doing everything so I have a blog up and running. Once I am ready to swap it with my other website, I will contact you just to make sure I do that right this time. Thanks.

8. ComputerMan

Glad to hear you have everything up and running.

Just remember to follow Michaels post and make sure you make a full backup of your web site and MySQL database before you do anything. That way if something fails you can always revert back to your backup.