Must Have a Special Bar Code 128 Font Installed On Server

Discussion in 'General troubleshooting' started by dovestrategic, Sep 10, 2012.

1. Hi,

We just opened an account with Winhost and are making a special software that uses a bar code 128 font. We have the font and need it installed ASAP but have received word that Winhost will not install it. Please explain why or please help us install it so we are ready for an important meeting with owners tomorrow. If we can not get it installed, we will need to close our account and look for a different provider.

Thanks

DT

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 14, 2015
  2. We don't install fonts on the servers for a lot of reasons. Primarily for server consistency and maintenance reasons.

But in the case of fonts there are also licensing considerations, since installing a font on the server makes it available to every site on the server.

Unfortunately the answer is 'no' any way you slice it. Honestly, I wouldn't trust a shared host that would install a font on one server for you. It's not best practice, and if they'll do that, they'll probably do a lot of other things that are not good for the server or your site.

3. that's too bad, right now i am in the same situation with dovestrategic. i need to install barcode fonts on the server as well. there must be a way to do it? any help would be appreciated.

4. Elshadriel

Elshadriel Winhost Staff

This is probably not what you're looking for since you want to use bar-code fonts, but you can add custom fonts for your text through CSS. I also looked at the KeepDynamic.com webpage, but I didn't see any instructions that indicated you needed to install fonts on the server. It looks like it's being generated by two .dll files which you can upload to your /bin directory.

5. There are also a couple of web font barcodes...