Multiple Domains

Discussion in 'Pre-sales questions' started by daedilus, Feb 10, 2010.

1. Okay, this may be a really stupid question but I'm going to ask anyway. I have a domain currently hosted with a linux host and it was sold to me that I could host multiple domains from my account with them. But when I registered my second domain, both addresses would resolve to the same website (if that makes sense). Now I know nothing about Linux so I wasn't able to dive deeper, nor did I want to. Maybe I was just doing something wrong.

My question is, if I add a new domain to my current account here at Winhost, will I be able to setup two completely different sites, or are they somehow linked to each other like a pointer. I'd like to know before I register a new domain.

Thanks!

2. curtis

curtis Winhost Staff

You will add a domain pointer. Then you can redirect that pointer with your code to its own subfolder with a separate website.

3. Ray

Ray

No I'm afraid it would work the same way as your Linux server. It will resolve to the same web page as your original domain name. If you want it to redirect to a specific folder or web page you'll need to incorporate a redirect script.

If you want the additional domain name to have its own web space, application pool, email domain name, and FTP login, then you will need to order it as its own separate Site Account.

4. Okay...that's what I was thinking about doing anyway to avoid added confusion.