MS Web Deploy with Subdirectory

Discussion in 'General troubleshooting' started by Nate, Jul 28, 2013.

1. I'm wondering what my options are in this specific scenario while using Winhost. My issue that I ran into on my test server is that I have the following website structure

Application A Root
    - folder
    - folder
    - Virtual Application B Root (MVC application that resides in subdirectory of Application A)

I am deploying my applications through MSBUILD with /P:DeployTarget=MSDeployPublish parameter to use Web Deploy. Everything worked fine until I added the Virtual Application in the subfolder under Application A. When I went to deploy Application A, it tried to delete the Virtual Application B folder and couldn't because it was being used by another process. That makes sense. So there were two ways I can get around this. I can add the /P:SkipExtraFilesOnServer=true parameter so that it doesn't try to delete anything when it deploys. This works, but I want my directories cleaned up so that extraneous files are not left out there.

My next option is actually create my Virtual Application but point the source to a location outside the actual Application A Root. So my structure would look more like this then.

Application A Root
    - folder
    - folder
    - Virtual Application B (points to Application B root)
    Application B Root

This works when I full control in IIS but I'm not sure if this will work while using Winhost. Is it possible using Winhost to set this up? Right now my Application A sites in the root of my site so I cannot move my Application B outside of the Application A root. I could make my Application A root a subfolder under my site, but then the url to my main site will like www.mysite.com/applicationAsubfolder which I absolutely do not want. What are my options here?

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 14, 2015