MS Management studio messed up?

Discussion in 'Databases' started by Hoosierdaddy, Nov 20, 2012.

1. Hi folks. I have MS Management studio installed for my SQL Express database management, etc, and when I tried to open it the other day, I recieved an error that said "Don't have the required MS Studio 2010 something or other needed" which I think I deleted not paying attention to what it was. I now can't get it to work. Management studio that is. I tried to reinstall it but no deals. Any suggestions? I'm current using VS Studio Pro which I have and love, but for this stuff I was trying to stay with Open source stuff / razor pages, etc, and wanted to blog about it later. I can't do that now of course because of the error, but will when I get it fixed and then I can add my affiliate stuff and sell loads of sites! :)

Tim

2. ComputerMan

ComputerMan Winhost Staff

Try to provide us with the exact error message. We might be able to point you in the right direction.

Or you can do what I would call... "Throw in the Towel" and reinstall the OS. Then reinstall everything else. (Only reinstall the OS if you really want to).

3. Hey Computer man. Thanks so much for the reply. I found the problem and had to download a missing DLL File. I went to MS site and entered the error code which led me to downloading something missing with updates for SQL server or VS. I don't remember now, but what happened was that without the total updates I needed, none of my VS and SQL stuff would work. So, I was able to get this fix at Microsofts site. It was a 64bit OS fix that was the problem. Anyway, thanks so much.. I've done the ole 'Throw in the towel thing before too, but hate that.. hehe".. I typically just go back in time using the Windows tool that allows you to go back to when everything worked, etc,. That typically will work for me when I need it. This is the first time I've had any problem really. I'm using Windows 7 ultimate on a lap top / dell with Intell core 2 duo and 2 gig of ram, etc, and this thing just hums.. Love it
    Thanks again.
    Tim

4. ComputerMan

ComputerMan Winhost Staff

Well i'm glad you worked it out Tim :)

5. Well, I thought I got it worked out. I looked it up at MSDN site and downloaded a file that supposed to fix the problem, but it didn't work. That said, I still have Studio version 2008 that I'm working with, and I've figured out that since I have MS Visual Studio pro that is a paid version, it comes with a SQL server data tools 2012 which is similiar to Management tools, except you can't do as many things, but so far I'm able to do all that I need both remotely and locally, so it works for me.. Thanks so much..
    Tim