Moving ASP.NET site from UK

Discussion in 'Pre-sales questions' started by Guest, Oct 19, 2010.

1. Guest

Guest Guest

Hi. I’m looking to move from my current hosting provider here in the UK. From reading other posts in your forum, it sounds like you provide a temporary URL and FTP address so that I can upload my site and database to your servers. It will probably take me a few days to configure and test everything. I take it that I won’t have to switch my domain name over (from my current provider) to you until I’ve got everything tested and working?

Also, my site uses the ASP.NET MailMessage and SMTPClient classes to send emails. Will this approach still work with your server?

Best regards, IP

2. Ray

Ray

That is correct. You do not need to point your domain name to us to be able to upload your website to our web server and view it. The secondary URL and secondary FTP address allows you to do that.

ASP.Net MailMessage is a class for ASP.Net 1.1. ASP.Net 1.1 is not installed on our IIS 7 server. You should use system.net.mail which comes with ASP.Net 2.0 and higher. Try looking at this kb article for an example on how to use ASP.Net 2.0 mail.

http://support.Winhost.com/KB/a650/how-to-send-email-in-aspnet.aspx

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 14, 2015