Microsoft Software

Discussion in 'Pre-sales questions' started by Mike, Oct 23, 2010.

1. Mike

Mike Guest

Hi, folks!

I'm trying to get my proverbial ducks in a row. I'm a little confused about which Microsoft apps I should have.

I already have installed Visual Web Developer 2008 Express Edition. Is it necessary and/or recommended to upgrade to 2010?

What are my database options? As a result of VWD2008, I've got Sql Server 2008 Express Edition installed - again, is an upgrade recommended? If so, to what? (Is SQL Server 2008 R2 Express an upgrade?)

Any other dev tools that I should have? (I'm on Vista 64, if that matters.)

Thanks!

Mike

2. Ray

Ray

You do not need to have VS 2008 to upload and install VS 2010. In fact they will run side by side with each other.

You will need to download and install SQL 2008 Express on your computer if you want to start creating databases, or as an alternative use our SQL 2008 database and simply configure the connection string to connect to our SQL 2008 server.

You will, however need to download SQL 2008 Management Studio on y our computer so that you can connect to our SQL 2008 server and create all your tables and objects.

3. No sorry. No Oracle around these parts.

4. Ray

Ray

Don't forget we also now support SQL CE version 4. Its a little cumbersome to use, and quite frankly unstable since you you are running it on the same application pool as your site. I would rather have people using the MySQL or MS SQL since it runs off its own hardware but it is still an option worth noting.