Make db connection available only on server side.

Discussion in 'Databases' started by FishLazyWaters, Feb 17, 2011.

1. Does anyone know if it is possible - with Winhost - to limit the ability to connect to a database only to apps that are running on the server side?

With either MySQL or SqlSrv I do not want a client or external app to be able to connect to any of my databases.

(Besides making sure my password, etc are secret.)

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 14, 2015
  2. Ray

Ray

Thats a good question but I don't think there is a setting to limit the connection. On IIS there's a setting for that but that's because by default all browsers can call on it. With SQL you have to pass that connection string so it already has that inherit security that will prevent unauthorized access.

3. Thanks,

I'll take that as a confirmation that I can't. At least on shared hosting which is what I'm using.

4. SQL Server has a setting for this. It is visible via SQL Server Management Studio, but it is disabled because it would not make sense to use it - once you disabled remote access, you couldn't connect to re-enable it. Kind of like shutting down a machine via a Remote Desktop session - you can't turn it on again.

You'd only have access to that in a dedicated hosting environment where you can remote into the SQL server machine itself to re-enable the setting.