Maintenance for Local SQL Instance - Should I be doing it?

Discussion in 'Databases' started by lockiedean77, Feb 13, 2019.

1. Hi All,

I built a small MS SQL database locally on my work computer as a means to deal with monthly csv exports that were 500k rows long and became too big for Excel, especially if I wanted to compare years worth of data together. It is a simple DB with only a couple of tables that I update monthly.

My question is if there's anything I need to be doing to keep the DB size manageable or if there is any sort of maintenance I should be doing? I know the danger of not having it backed up on a server and am working with our 1 IT guy to eventually get it put on our server, but it's a small company and he's never done anything like this.

Is there any sort of report/activity log I need to periodically clear? I create some temporary tables for lookups, possibly something related to these? I previously read that if you DROP tables instead of TRUNCATE tables, it keeps record of all changes, etc.

I appreciate any help!

2. Elshadriel

Elshadriel Winhost Staff

3. Hi All,

I built a small MS SQL database locally on my work computer as a means to deal with monthly csv exports that were 500k rows long and became too big for Excel, especially if I wanted to compare years worth of data together. It is a simple DB with only a couple of tables that I update monthly.

My question is if there's anything I need to be doing to keep the DB size manageable or if there is any sort of maintenance I should be doing? I know the danger of not having it backed up on a server and am working with our 1 IT guy to eventually get it put on our server, but it's a small company and he's never done anything like this.

Is there any sort of report/activity log I need to periodically clear? I create some temporary tables for lookups, possibly something related to these? I previously read that if you DROP tables instead of TRUNCATE tables, it keeps record of all changes, etc.

I appreciate any help!
    ______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
    Thank you my issue has been solved
    tech news free netflix