Mailbox unavailable ... not permitted to relay

Discussion in 'Email' started by kwhite390, Feb 17, 2012.

1. I am debugging sending email using information from a web page form.
    The method I am using is very similar to the KB article:
    http://support.Winhost.com/KB/a650/how-to-send-email-in-aspnet.aspx?KBSearchID=365406

When I send I get the error message Exception Details: System.Net.Mail.SmtpFailedRecipientException: Mailbox unavailable. The server response was: w07.Winhost.com (W07) [96.31.35.71] is currently not permitted to relay

I believe this is a problem with the authentication of the SMTP account. I do set credentials before I send the mail as in the KB article. I use an email account = [email protected]. The relevant code snippet is below-

Dim client As New SmtpClient()
    Dim basicAuthenticationInfo As New System.Net.NetworkCredential("[email protected]", "thePasswordHere")
    client.Host = "mail.sailfastllc.com"
    client.UseDefaultCredentials = False
    client.Credentials = basicAuthenticationInfo
    client.Send(message)

I know the email account is working because I can use the site email manager and successfully send an email to the same address I'm trying to send to in code.

I am in process of transferring the site from another host to Winhost. So I am doing all this using the secondary URL.

Any ideas ??

Kevin

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 14, 2015
  2. Elshadriel

Elshadriel Winhost Staff

Hello Kevin,

The error message seems to indicate you're trying to send email through the web server. The email servers at Winhost are separate from the web servers. Also, try authenticating with the postmaster account.