Mail over SSL

Discussion in 'Email' started by yhtrhyrthtr, Nov 28, 2010.

1. Do you support email send/retrieval over SSL (using Outlook for example)?

Thanks.

2. Ray

Ray

No, I'm afraid not. The reason being is that we host over a thousand different email domain name. To certify each one of them will be almost impossible. I'm afraid you will not see encyrpted POP/SMTP connections on a shared hosting environment.

Edit: Email over SSL/TLS was not supported at the time of this post, but is supported now. Please see this KB article on how to set it up: https://support.winhost.com/kb/a132...tween-my-email-client-to-the-mail-server.aspx

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 20, 2017
  3. Thanks for a quick reply Ray,

just to clarify a few things.

I do not really care about securing/certifying my specific domain name on mail server.
    All I care about is mail transport security when I'm on public network (wifi hot spot etc).

you are saying that ports 465/995 will not work on your mail server even with your shared cert?

p.s. on my current hoster (for which I seek a replacement for different reasons) I use the above ports and just ignore cert mismatch warning in mail client.

4. Ray

Ray

Using TLS/SSL for POP3 and SMTP is more then just simply passing it to a different port number. The transmission still needs to be encrypted and the receiving end, which is Winhost email server must then need to decrypt it. Because this is a shared hosting environment it is close to near impossible to do this.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 14, 2015
  5. So what are the alternative if we need secure mailing transmition because i don't feel comfortable with my password sent un-encrypted when i'm on a public network.

One would be to use SmartMail and the second option would be to host the email with a email compagny instead?

6. Ray

Ray

If you want to use an email client such as Outlook then I'm afraid there really is not alternative to what you are trying to do. But you are correct with SmarterMail. If you log into your webmail, you can call on a SSL line "https:" which is encrypted. I guess if you really are looking for a secure situation then using your webmail interface will be the best way to go.

7. Thanks for the reply, is SmarterMail created by you or its a third party that you guys are using? i'm asking that for my next question witch is do you plan to have a mobile version or mobile app that we could use on cell phone or tablet ? Since SmarterMail is the best secure solutions in your hosting context it would be nice to have a web app or native app so we can access it tru mobile device.

8. Ray

Ray

SmarterMail was created by the company SmarterTools and we have purchased licenses from them to offer to our customer.

9. it seems it is possible, assuming Enterprise edition is used:
    Configure SSL / TLS to secure SmarterMail
    http://portal.smartertools.com/KB/a240/configure-ssl-tls-to-secure-smartermail.aspx

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 14, 2015
  10. We do use Enterprise edition. We just don't enable SSL/TLS at this time.