mail issues

Discussion in 'Email' started by bcgould, Jun 4, 2010.

1. i have phpbb installed - as with most message boards it has email - you can choose to use SMTP or not.

If i choose not to use SMTP and try to send an email i get the following error message: Failed to connect to mailserver at "localhost" port 25, verify your "SMTP" and "smtp_port" setting in php.ini or use ini_set()

I then decided to enable SMTP and put in the SMTP: mail.wintertree.org i found under the email setting of my Winhost account. This did not work either.

I then decided to migrate my mail to gmail and try again as, on my previous host I had gmail as my email service and everything worked fine with phpbb.

When i put in the information from gmail for STMP using gmail which is:
    SMTP Server Address:tls://smtp.gmail.com
    SMTP Ports: 465
    Authentication method for SMTP: PLAIN
    SMTP Username: enter your email address
    SMTP Password: enter the password of your email account
    I get the following error:
    Could not connect to smtp host : 0 : Unable to find the socket transport "tls" - did you forget to enable it when you configured PHP?

When I then contacted php support they advised to change the information to the following:
    SMTP server address: ssl://smtp.gmail.com
    SMTP server port: 465
    Authentication method for SMTP: LOGIN
    which gives me this error:
    Could not connect to smtp host : 0 : Unable to find the socket transport "ssl" - did you forget to enable it when you configured PHP?

Responding back to the PHPBB people I was advised that i need to edit my php.ini file as follows
    open your PHP.ini and find
    ;OPENSSL.DLL
    remove ";" and restart server
    2 problems here - I cant see/access/edit the php.ini file as it is stored on C:\windows\php.ini on the server. Secondly I cant reset the server obviously.

Responding again to PHP support they then advised me to contact my host - which is you - I need this resolved, I have to have email ability through the phpbb board - what do i need to set and where for this to work. with my previous host it just worked so i am getting a little frustrated

2. never mind

3. What was the problem/fix?

4. I'd like to know the fix for this as well...