Mail Delays

Discussion in 'Email' started by Zymurgist, May 4, 2011.

1. I recently established a domain and hosting account with Winhost, and have setup multiple mail accouts for our staff.

When I setup an account I send a test email from my Yahoo! mail service. This test message has often taken up to 25 minutes to be received and visible in the SmartMail web client.

I've attempted to eliminate problems with sending mail from Yahoo by also sending test messages to from that account to my GMail account. Those messages are received with nominal delay (less then thirty seconds).

This long delay in mail reception also exists for dummy accounts setup as forwarding accounts to existing external mail for our contracted staff. I have tested sending mail from my Yahoo! mail to those external address directly with the same nominal delay as mail sent to my GMail account.

Any thoughts or other ways I should be testing?

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 14, 2015
  2. Ray

Ray

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 14, 2015
  3. It would appear that disabling greylisting has brought email deliver back down to a reasonable time. Thank you very much for the information.

If I read the options correctly there is no "spam" folder for this mail service. Mail tagged as spam has "SPAM-*LEVEL*" prepended to the subject and is delivered to the Inbox. Is this correct?

Also... I seem to be having a case of the dumb this morning and registered this account with a misspelled username. Are you about to edit this, or should I just create a new account? If I need to create a new account will I get an error due to using an email address already in the system?

4. Ray

Ray

You will have to redefine your spam rule. Once you do you will have the option to move spam to the spam folder. The system should automatically create that for you.

Haha, is the case of the "dumb" contagious? No worries, just open a ticket to our support department and request that the domain name on your site account get changed. Just make sure you open that ticket from within the control panel so that the request is authenticated.

5. I was only referencing my username here. The domain account is fine. I've just made an account with the correct user name.

Thank you for your assistance.

6. I merged your old username with the new one so the new name is linked to your previous posts now.