Looking for an editor that will work directly on a website

Discussion in 'Site Programming, Development and Design' started by ainofitz, Feb 3, 2012.

1. I have been using FrontPage for years primarily because it would let me load a file from my website, edit it and put it back on the site all without loading an FTP program. I now have Expression and it is really no fun. Does anyone know of anything that provides this functionality?

2. The visual studio suite of programs do this as you have the option to 'open website'
    then you can choose a file to edit such as index.htm or default.aspx, make a change, save it, refresh your browser and see that the change has been made on yor site. the free versions of VS should have it. search for download visual studio express.

3. Thanks for the info. However, Visual Studio 6.0 says that won't work unless I have Frontpage extensions installed on the server. And, if Winhost had that, I'd be using FrontPage. Seems like all I need is an editor that can load and save files via FTP. I'm thinking there must be something like Dropbox that works via FTP. That is supported by Winhost.

4. curtis

curtis Winhost Staff

Microsoft has dropped frontpage as a product and is no longer supporting frontpage extensions. It's better to stop relying on old technology like frontpage extensions. Microsoft hasn't done anything with it and has not touched frontpage extensions since like 2002 I think.

5. I am now using FrontPage with a disk emulator that supports FTP to read and write. After a few tries with different products, I found NetDrive and it works just fine. I can use any editor that I want as everybody thinks I am working on a local disk. Thanks for the comments.

6. I have found Notepad++. Combined with Netdrive to access the files on my sites, this is a good working solution. No Frontpage, no Visual Studio, no complications - just get the work done. I like it.

7. Elshadriel

Elshadriel Winhost Staff