Large Attachments Jam Email

Discussion in 'Email' started by Pyronaught, Feb 28, 2011.

1. I don't know if this is a SmartMail setting or an Outlook setting, but if someone sends me an email with a large attachment beyond a certain size, it prevents Outlook from being able to download mail from SmartMail. I've searched all over Outlook for some kind of attachment size limitation setting but can't find anything. I would think this is an Outlook problem since the mail gets delivered to SmartMail without a problem. Anyone know how to fix this?

2. rum

rum Winhost Staff

How big is the attachment and what is the exact error message you are getting in Outlook? Is there any antivirus software on your machine that scans your incoming emails? If there is one, can you disable it temporarily and try downloading the message again to see if it solves the problem.

3. Ray

Ray

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 14, 2015
  4. There's not an error message, the problem is that Outlook just doesn't download the mail from the server if it exceeds a certain size. I've seen messages with attachments as small as 4MB cause the problem. It's not a mail server threshold that is being triggered, since the messages are actually being delivered and are accessible using the SmartMail mail reader website. The problem is that outlook is refusing to download messages over a certain size limit, and once it encounters one of these large messages it just stops at that point and doesn't download any of the other messages still on the server. Thus all it takes is for someone to forward me one chain letter with a big video attachment or something and it just shuts down my mail delivery via outlook, then I have to go into SmartMail and manually delete it before I'm able to download all the other mail into Outlook again.

It seems like this would have to be an Outlook setting somewhere that tells it not do accept mail beyond a certain size, I just can't find the setting. Outlook has such a convoluted user interface for mail settings, with some setting panels nested within other panels or distributed accross several tabs instead of having everything related to email in one logical place.

5. Ray

Ray

Try going into Outlook and click on Tools/Rules and Alerts... and verify if you have any rules that maybe stopping it. Lastly for now enable your outlook logging for troubleshooting purpose. Go to Tools/Options/Other/Advanced Options/Enable Logging.

This is the location of the log file.

The log file has the name OPMLog.log and is located in one of the following locations:

Windows Vista
    c:\Users\user name\AppData\Local\Temp\Outlook Logging

Microsoft Windows Server 2003, and Microsoft Windows XP
    c:\Documents and Settings\user name\Local Settings\Temp\Outlook Logging

When you enable Outlook logging, you may need to turn off Outlook and turn it on again to fully activate it.