Is "Wingdings 2" font installed on the asp.net 4.6 server?

Discussion in 'Site Programming, Development and Design' started by John Dee, Sep 21, 2017.

Tags:
  1. I am having trouble exporting a ReportViewer report to PDF that has a number of textboxes font-property set to "WingDings 2". On both my local Windows-7 computer and on the Winhost website, the reports properly show the WingDing2-Chr(82) and -Chr(163) correctly in the viewable report for the textboxes that have WindDings2 fonts.
    However, when a web-user selects the Export-to-PDF option, the resulting PDF shows an 'R' for the Chr(82) (checked-checkbox) and '£' (British-pound symbol), for the Chr(163) (UN-checked-checkbox) character.
    On my local computer, the exported PDF shows the correct checkbox characters (same as viewing the report).

There are many older links on google-search dealing with this as a bug in earlier ReportViewer but none recently. I am left with knowing whether the wingdings2 font is installed on WinHost.
    I now as this question to WinHost...Is "Wingdings 2" font installed on the asp.net 4.6 server?

My application is under deesoft3.info, but requires login access to get to the actual application where the reports can be accessed and viewed (and exported).

Your solutions and comments are welcome...thanks.

2. Elshadriel

Elshadriel Winhost Staff

Hi John,

No, the "Wingdings 2" font is not installed on the server. Can you upload the font itself and reference it using your code? I know you can do this with CSS, but since you are using PDF, I'm not sure if that will work.

3. Thank you Elshadriel. I wish Wingdings-2 was an installed font for our web-apps.
    WinHost is for ASP.NET web development and, IMHO, any Microsoft Windows font(s) should be installed on your servers.

I would like to add the solution to my problem that prompted this thread, it may help others.
    Issue And Solution: I needed to show three types of check-boxes on the web page and Wingdings-2 had them but I discovered the corresponding Wingdings characters as the following:
    Wingdings............Wingdings-2
    ..Character............Character.......Display _______________________________________
    .......ý..........................T................Box containing X
    .......þ..........................R................Box containing check-mark (like half of square root or a 'V')
    .......¨......................Chr(163)........Empty box. (Wingdings character is NOT a quote mark. copy it.)

VB Example txtBoxIsSelected.Text = IIf(IsSelected.Value = True, "þ", "¨")
    C# Example: txtBoxIsSelected.Text = (IsSelected.Value == true ? "þ" : "¨");

Thanks and please continue your helpful web services.
    John.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2017
    Elshadriel likes this.