Is Microsoft SQL Server 2008 R2 Express supported?

Discussion in 'Pre-sales questions' started by bahith, Jan 26, 2011.

1. Could you please tell me if

Microsoft SQL Server 2008 R2 Express

is supported in the Basic hosting plan?

Thank you very much.

2. rum

rum Winhost Staff

SQL Express edition is not supported in our production environment. Also, SQL Server 2008 R2 edition is not available at Winhost. So far, we provide only one edition of SQL Server which is "SQL Server 2008 web edition."

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 14, 2015
  3. Ray

Ray

We're still investigating and testing SQL 2008 R2. The problem with SQL 2008 R2 is that it requires it's own hardware separate from the original SQL 2008 version. Therefore, not only we have to acquire new hardware, but the control panel will have to be designed so that you can create it within the Site Info Manager. Sorry, but that takes time and we want to make sure we offer and support it correctly rather than just pushing it out without any plan or support to it.

4. @rum & @Ray

Thank you both for yoy replies. I'm developing a Silverlight 4 application which utilizes spatial services in MS SQL Server 2008 but I don't think it's present in the web edition.

Can you please confirm if this is true or not?

5. Ray

Ray

Well, SQL 2008 web edition doesn't have spatial data services, but I believe you can still download the spatial data tools from Microsoft, upload it to your Bin folder, use SQL 2008 to collect the data and use ASP.Net with SQL Spatial Tools in the Bin folder to accomplish what you are looking to do to present a geographic data presentation.

Try looking at these links.

http://sharpgis.net/page/SQL-Server-2008-Spatial-Tools.aspx
    http://www.bostongis.com/PrinterFriendly.aspx?content_name=sql2008_tut03
    http://www.microsoft.com/sqlserver/2008/en/us/spatial-data.aspx

6. Thank you @Ray.

I will defenetly investigate the links and come back later.

7. rum

rum Winhost Staff

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 14, 2015
  8. Thank you very much @rum.

I will open an account with you then.

9. rum

rum Winhost Staff

We are glad to hear that. Please take your time to test and evaluate our services. You will have 30-days trial period, so if something does not work for you the way you expected, you can cancel your account during this time and receive full refund.

10. I literally just signed up for service a few minutes ago, I did a lot of research and have come over from discountasp.net where we've been buying accounts for a while - the only thing I didn't remember seeing was the version of SQL that you supported, it's not much of a game changer for me, but it would be nice if that had been indicated on your features page.

11. Ray

Ray

That sounds reasonable. Let me inform our Marketing department about that.

12. amk2010

amk2010 Guest

well SQL server 2008 web edition is fine ... happy with it :)
    [​IMG]

13. Ray

Ray

You can also tell what SQL 2008 version you have by running this T-SQL command against it.

SELECT @@version

Maybe this should be placed in the knowledge base.