International characters in subject lines

Discussion in 'Email' started by bostjank, May 19, 2011.

1. Hi,

I have troubles encoding international charachters like č (č) in a subject line of a message. If I use default encoding for our country (Latin-2 - ISO-8859-2, or WIndows-1250) special characters are converted in their "western versions" - Č becomes C, Š becomes S and so on. If I use UNICODE encoding the characters are changed to "?", "Ä Å¡Å¾" or similar unrecognized charachers (depending on different version of document encoding).

This only happens if I send e-mail through "international" mail servers like my Winhost mail server, gmail etc. It works fine with my current e-mail provider (which I'll no longer use after this month).

Of course, there are no problems with these characters in e-mail body, as I can use HTML codes in the text.

Any ideas how to solve this problem. It is of critical importance that I am able to send email with our characters in subject lines.

Thanks,
    Bostjan

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 14, 2015
  2. Ray

Ray

How exactly are you sending email? If you are using the SmarterMail webmail under the Settings/Compose menu you have the option for Format and Text Encoding. What do you have that set to? If you are using an email client such as Outlook if you write the email, it should have the Options menu and you may want to send it out as plain text rather then HTML or Rich Text.

3. I'm sending emails using CDOSYS in ASP script.

4. Ray

Ray