Installing Orchard CMS on WinHost

Discussion in 'Third-party applications' started by rum, Jan 27, 2011.

1. rum

rum Winhost Staff

Orchard CMS is a free, open source content management system that allows users to rapidly create web sites on the Microsoft ASP.NET platform. Installing it on Winhost can be easily done in minutes. Please follow the instructions below.

• Download zipped version of Orchard application to your local machine from http://orchard.codeplex.com/ Unzip the archive and upload the unzipped content to your installation directory. If you are installing it to a directory other then your site's root, you will need to convert it to the application starting point before uploading the content to it.
    • Visit your installation directory in a web browser. The "Get Strarted" page should appear.
    • Enter site name, user name, and password which you will be using later to login to your portal as the administrator. Select "Use an existing SQL Server" radio button and paste the connection string of your Winhost SQL Server database. Please do not include quotes at the beginning and at the end of your connection string, and make sure you replace ****** with your actual password.
    • Click submit button, and your installation will be complete in few seconds.

To obtain the connection string of your database,

• Login to your Winhost Control Panel at https://cp.Winhost.com
    • In the navigation menu under Winhost logo click on "Sites" tab
    • In "Your Sites" section click "Manage" link next to a site you'd like to manage
    • In the "Site Tools" section click on "MS SQL 2008" button
    • Click on "Manage" link next to the database you'd like to obtain the connection string for. The connection string will be displayed at the button

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 14, 2015
  2. Orchard CMS

Is there any way to enable some modules/features like "Keep Alive" or "Warmup"? When I try to enable them I keep getting errors. Do you guys have some security setup that is preventing this? Also, how often do you recycle your app pools?

3. keep alive session is not supported.

We host each website in its unique application pool/process. To ensure server stability we recycle the application if any of the following conditions are met:

1) More than 20 minutes of idle time (no HTTP request in 20 minutes)
    2) The application uses more than 100 MB of memory for the Basic plan and 200 MB of memory for the Max and Ultimate plan.
    3) The application uses more than 70% of CPU resources for more than 5 minutes

4. Error when installing Orchard

When I install Orchard using either the App Installer or @rum's manual approach, I get an error when I go to the site even though I initially get a "Your Application Installed Successfully" message in the App Installer.

To get the message in the attached "PrimaryErrorMessage.png" file, I followed the instructions regarding the web.config file in the "PreliminaryErrorMessage.png" file.

Attached Files:

5. I got the same error using App Installer. Any advice or update on this?

6. I got the same error and hope someone can help with this.

7. Got it working with the same error.

After installing orchard and getting the same error, I deleted everything in the web folder and reset the .net to .net 4.

Installed orchard via the app installer and it worked.

8. Glad you got it up and running and thanks for posting that tip.