Installing a program on my site

Discussion in 'Site Programming, Development and Design' started by andylira, Jun 29, 2012.

1. As a newcomer to Winhost, I need some help with a program I have to install on my site, its called FastMaintWeb (a CMMS Program) and is written in ASP-Net and runs under IIS7, now the normal usage is that you run a installer (exe) and it does the rest, but I cant see how to do that here.

I have connected to my site using FileZilla and IIS 7.5.

Andy

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 14, 2015
  2. ComputerMan

ComputerMan Winhost Staff

Hi Andy,

I'm sorry but people are not allowed to run .exe files in our shared hosting environment. This is due to security issues. You will need to ask them for an alternative method on how to install the web application in a shared hosting environment.

3. What to do now

Hi

Thanks for the reply, I had sort of guessed that this would be the case after reading this and other forums, now where to go from here? I looked at the way the program is setup and basically I thought that by loading the entire directory onto the site it might work.

But on doing so and trying to browse the default apsx file (or indeed any file) I get the following error:-

HTTP Error 404.8 - Not Found
    The request filtering module is configured to deny a path in the URL that contains a hiddenSegment section.

I think the issue could be solved with editing the weblog files but how and where or any other suggestions would be appreciated

Andy

4. I gave the site for that program a quick look, and I don't think it would be an easy task to get it to run here, or on pretty much any shared host. It isn't really made for deploying here. If you were very motivated and had a lot of time on your hands you might be able to get some of it to work, but I think it would be more frustration than it's worth.

5. Thanks

Hank
    Thanks for the info, but i am a bit surprised as to your comment, tell me if I am wrong but as I see it on my Server here, the program is merely a series of aspx pages called from a main with a link to either an Access or a MSSQL database, all of which your sites provide.

I am very willing to invest time in getting it to work, and so I would be very much obliged if you would have a look on my site and see what is uploaded, and then perhaps give a further opinion based on that?

Sec URL: btsugaco.w08.Winhost.com

Path to root: E:\web\btsugaco\

Andy

6. I said that because it requires installation on the server, so while the interface may be aspx pages, their functions may be tied to server-specific functions that we may or may not expose to end users.

It would take someone with experience with the program to tell you how viable it is. It isn't a popular application, and they don't have a forum, so you should probably ask them directly whether or not it's made for a shared hosting environment. Looking at the interface files isn't the best way to approach this.

7. Thanks again

Hank
    Thanks again for your time, I have indeed approached the company and one of the techs has promised to get back to me with a couple of options, one of which could be running the program as a service?, anyway I will get back to you with whatever they come up with, so that you can vet its suitability for Winhost.
    Andy

8. Back Again

Hank
    I got the info back from the guys and they confirm that once the program is installed on a test server then we need to copy the /fastmaint directory (and its dependents) to the root of the host, and make some changes to the web.config file and then it will work!!. I followed the instructions and guess what, it does not work, please could you look at the site and tell me why i get an error in line 21 below, I have tried all the permutations i can think of?
    Andy

TP Error 500.19 - Internal Server Error
    The requested page cannot be accessed because the related configuration data for the page is invalid.

20: <add key="Data Source=tcp:s06.Winhost.com;Initial Catalog=DB_44129_fastmaint;User ID=DB_44129_fastmaint_user;Password=******;Integrated Security=False;"
    21: <add key="TempFolder" value="\btsugaco\fmtemp\" />
    22: <add key="LogFile" value="\btsugaco\fmtemp\fmweb.log" />

9. Elshadriel

Elshadriel Winhost Staff

Can you try using the absolute path for the value? Server path information to your site can be found in the Control Panel.

10. Like so:

21: <add key="TempFolder" value="E:\web\btsugaco\fmtemp\" />
    22: <add key="LogFile" value="E:\web\btsugaco\fmtemp\fmweb.log" />

11. Continued

Hank/Elshadriel
    Thanks for the help, I have tried all the permutations and get the same issues, however if i change the DB from SQL to Access then the error changes to:-

Server Error in '/fastmaint' Application.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Runtime Error
    Description: An application error occurred on the server. The current custom error settings for this application prevent the details of the application error from being viewed remotely (for security reasons). It could, however, be viewed by browsers running on the local server machine.

Any clues as to what might be happening?
    Andy

12. Elshadriel

Elshadriel Winhost Staff

Hi Andy,

Not quite sure what is exactly going on, but you should be able to reveal the error by:

1) Log into your site using IIS7 Manager by following the instructions in this Knowledge Base article:

http://support.Winhost.com/KB/a628/using-the-microsoft-iis-70-manager.aspx

2) Double click on the Error Pages module to open it.
    3) On the right hand side, click on Edit Feature Settings...
    4) Check Detailed errors and click on OK.

13. Continued

Elshadriel

Thanks for the reply, My site was already configured as you state but I still get the same error message, what can I do next?
    Andy

14. Web.config file contents

Elshadriel

Please find below the web.config file for the application /fastmaint, please have a look and see if you can see the source of the errors I am seeing.

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
    <configuration>
    <configSections>
    <section name="infragistics.web" type="System.Configuration.SingleTagSectionHandler,System, Version=1.0.3300.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089" />
    <sectionGroup name="system.web.extensions" type="System.Web.Configuration.SystemWebExtensionsSectionGroup, System.Web.Extensions, Version=3.5.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=31BF3856AD364E35">
    <sectionGroup name="scripting" type="System.Web.Configuration.ScriptingSectionGroup, System.Web.Extensions, Version=3.5.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=31BF3856AD364E35">
    <section name="scriptResourceHandler" type="System.Web.Configuration.ScriptingScriptResourceHandlerSection, System.Web.Extensions, Version=3.5.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=31BF3856AD364E35" requirePermission="false" allowDefinition="MachineToApplication" />
    <sectionGroup name="webServices" type="System.Web.Configuration.ScriptingWebServicesSectionGroup, System.Web.Extensions, Version=3.5.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=31BF3856AD364E35">
    <section name="jsonSerialization" type="System.Web.Configuration.ScriptingJsonSerializationSection, System.Web.Extensions, Version=3.5.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=31BF3856AD364E35" requirePermission="false" allowDefinition="Everywhere" />
    <section name="profileService" type="System.Web.Configuration.ScriptingProfileServiceSection, System.Web.Extensions, Version=3.5.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=31BF3856AD364E35" requirePermission="false" allowDefinition="MachineToApplication" />
    <section name="authenticationService" type="System.Web.Configuration.ScriptingAuthenticationServiceSection, System.Web.Extensions, Version=3.5.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=31BF3856AD364E35" requirePermission="false" allowDefinition="MachineToApplication" />
    <section name="roleService" type="System.Web.Configuration.ScriptingRoleServiceSection, System.Web.Extensions, Version=3.5.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=31BF3856AD364E35" requirePermission="false" allowDefinition="MachineToApplication" />
    </sectionGroup>
    </sectionGroup>
    </sectionGroup>
    </configSections>
    <infragistics.web imageDirectory="~/ig_common/images/" javaScriptDirectory="~/ig_common/scripts/" uploadedFilesDirectory="~/upload/" />
    <!-- APPLICATION CONFIGURATION SECTION -->
    <appSettings>
    <add key="DBPath" value="e:\web\btsugaco\fmdatabase\fmweb.mdb" />
    <add key="TempFolder" value="e:\web\btsugaco\fmtemp\" />
    <add key="LogFile" value="e:\web\btsugaco\fmtemp\fmweb.log" />
    <add key="Authenticator" value="builtin" />
    </appSettings>
    <!-- SYSTEM CONFIGURATION SECTION -->
    <system.web>
    <compilation debug="false" tempDirectory="">
    <assemblies>
    <add assembly="System.Core, Version=3.5.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=B77A5C561934E089" />
    <add assembly="System.Data.DataSetExtensions, Version=3.5.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=B77A5C561934E089" />
    <add assembly="System.Web.Extensions, Version=3.5.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=31BF3856AD364E35" />
    <add assembly="System.Xml.Linq, Version=3.5.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=B77A5C561934E089" />
    </assemblies>
    </compilation>
    <customErrors mode="RemoteOnly" defaultRedirect="apperr.aspx" />
    <authentication mode="Forms">
    <forms name="fastmaint" path="/" loginUrl="login.aspx" protection="All" timeout="20">
    </forms>
    </authentication>
    <authorization>
    <deny users="?" />
    </authorization>
    <trace enabled="false" requestLimit="10" pageOutput="false" traceMode="SortByTime" localOnly="true" />
    <sessionState mode="InProc" stateConnectionString="tcpip=127.0.0.1:42424" sqlConnectionString="data source=127.0.0.1;Trusted_Connection=yes" cookieless="false" timeout="20" />
    <globalization requestEncoding="utf-8" responseEncoding="utf-8" fileEncoding="utf-8" />
    <pages>
    <controls>
    <add tagPrefix="asp" namespace="System.Web.UI" assembly="System.Web.Extensions, Version=3.5.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=31BF3856AD364E35" />
    <add tagPrefix="asp" namespace="System.Web.UI.WebControls" assembly="System.Web.Extensions, Version=3.5.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=31BF3856AD364E35" />
    </controls>
    </pages>
    <httpHandlers>
    <remove verb="*" path="*.asmx" />
    <add verb="*" path="*.asmx" validate="false" type="System.Web.Script.Services.ScriptHandlerFactory, System.Web.Extensions, Version=3.5.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=31BF3856AD364E35" />
    <add verb="*" path="*_AppService.axd" validate="false" type="System.Web.Script.Services.ScriptHandlerFactory, System.Web.Extensions, Version=3.5.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=31BF3856AD364E35" />
    <add verb="GET,HEAD" path="ScriptResource.axd" type="System.Web.Handlers.ScriptResourceHandler, System.Web.Extensions, Version=3.5.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=31BF3856AD364E35" validate="false" />
    </httpHandlers>
    <httpModules>
    <add name="ScriptModule" type="System.Web.Handlers.ScriptModule, System.Web.Extensions, Version=3.5.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=31BF3856AD364E35" />
    </httpModules>
    </system.web>
    <!--
    The system.webServer section is required for running ASP.NET AJAX under Internet
    Information Services 7.0. It is not necessary for previous version of IIS.
    -->
    <system.webServer>
    <validation validateIntegratedModeConfiguration="false" />
    <modules>
    <remove name="ScriptModule" />
    <add name="ScriptModule" preCondition="managedHandler" type="System.Web.Handlers.ScriptModule, System.Web.Extensions, Version=3.5.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=31BF3856AD364E35" />
    </modules>
    <handlers>
    <remove name="WebServiceHandlerFactory-Integrated" />
    <remove name="ScriptHandlerFactory" />
    <remove name="ScriptHandlerFactoryAppServices" />
    <remove name="ScriptResource" />
    <add name="ScriptHandlerFactory" verb="*" path="*.asmx" preCondition="integratedMode" type="System.Web.Script.Services.ScriptHandlerFactory, System.Web.Extensions, Version=3.5.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=31BF3856AD364E35" />
    <add name="ScriptHandlerFactoryAppServices" verb="*" path="*_AppService.axd" preCondition="integratedMode" type="System.Web.Script.Services.ScriptHandlerFactory, System.Web.Extensions, Version=3.5.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=31BF3856AD364E35" />
    <add name="ScriptResource" preCondition="integratedMode" verb="GET,HEAD" path="ScriptResource.axd" type="System.Web.Handlers.ScriptResourceHandler, System.Web.Extensions, Version=3.5.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=31BF3856AD364E35" />
    </handlers>
    </system.webServer>
    <runtime>
    <assemblyBinding xmlns="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:asm.v1">
    <dependentAssembly>
    <assemblyIdentity name="System.Web.Extensions" publicKeyToken="31bf3856ad364e35" />
    <bindingRedirect oldVersion="1.0.0.0-1.1.0.0" newVersion="3.5.0.0" />
    </dependentAssembly>
    <dependentAssembly>
    <assemblyIdentity name="System.Web.Extensions.Design" publicKeyToken="31bf3856ad364e35" />
    <bindingRedirect oldVersion="1.0.0.0-1.1.0.0" newVersion="3.5.0.0" />
    </dependentAssembly>
    </assemblyBinding>
    </runtime>
    <!-- File and directory permissions -->
    <location path="fastmaint.css">
    <system.web>
    <authorization>
    <allow users="*" />
    </authorization>
    </system.web>
    </location>
    <location path="aperr.aspx">
    <system.web>
    <authorization>
    <allow users="*" />
    </authorization>
    </system.web>
    </location>
    <location path="help">
    <system.web>
    <authorization>
    <allow users="*" />
    </authorization>
    </system.web>
    </location>
    <location path="ig_common">
    <system.web>
    <authorization>
    <allow users="*" />
    </authorization>
    </system.web>
    </location>
    <location path="ig_res">
    <system.web>
    <authorization>
    <allow users="*" />
    </authorization>
    </system.web>
    </location>
    <location path="images">
    <system.web>
    <authorization>
    <allow users="*" />
    </authorization>
    </system.web>
    </location>
    <location path="js">
    <system.web>
    <authorization>
    <allow users="*" />
    </authorization>
    </system.web>
    </location>
    <location path="system">
    <system.web>
    <authorization>
    <deny users="*" />
    </authorization>
    </system.web>
    </location>
    </configuration>

Andy

15. So what's the actual error again? can you post a URL?

16. Error and url

ALLEGRO13

The URL is http://btsugaco.w08.Winhost.com/fastmaint/

and the error is

Runtime Error

Description: An application error occurred on the server. The current custom error settings for this application prevent the details of the application error from being viewed remotely (for security reasons). It could, however, be viewed by browsers running on the local server machine.

Details: To enable the details of this specific error message to be viewable on remote machines, please create a <customErrors> tag within a "web.config" configuration file located in the root directory of the current web application. This <customErrors> tag should then have its "mode" attribute set to "Off".

<!-- Web.Config Configuration File -->

<configuration>
    <system.web>
    <customErrors mode="Off"/>
    </system.web>
    </configuration>

Notes: The current error page you are seeing can be replaced by a custom error page by modifying the "defaultRedirect" attribute of the application's <customErrors> configuration tag to point to a custom error page URL.

<!-- Web.Config Configuration File -->

<configuration>
    <system.web>
    <customErrors mode="RemoteOnly" defaultRedirect="mycustompage.htm"/>
    </system.web>
    </configuration>

Andy

17. you need to follow the instruction on screen to create customErrors tag in your web.config and set it to off so the actual error can be displayed. Once you did, post the error message again.

18. Error messages

Allegro13

This is the error that I get, any clues?

Required permissions cannot be acquired.

Description: An unhandled exception occurred during the execution of the current web request. Please review the stack trace for more information about the error and where it originated in the code.

Exception Details: System.Security.Policy.PolicyException: Required permissions cannot be acquired.

Source Error:

An unhandled exception was generated during the execution of the current web request. Information regarding the origin and location of the exception can be identified using the exception stack trace below.

Stack Trace:

[PolicyException: Required permissions cannot be acquired.]
    System.Security.SecurityManager.ResolvePolicy(Evidence evidence, PermissionSet reqdPset, PermissionSet optPset, PermissionSet denyPset, PermissionSet& denied, Boolean checkExecutionPermission) +7608611
    System.Security.SecurityManager.ResolvePolicy(Evidence evidence, PermissionSet reqdPset, PermissionSet optPset, PermissionSet denyPset, PermissionSet& denied, Int32& securitySpecialFlags, Boolean checkExecutionPermission) +57

[FileLoadException: Could not load file or assembly 'ChilkatDotNet2, Version=9.2.1.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=eb5fc1fc52ef09bd' or one of its dependencies. Failed to grant minimum permission requests. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x80131417)]
    System.Reflection.Assembly._nLoad(AssemblyName fileName, String codeBase, Evidence assemblySecurity, Assembly locationHint, StackCrawlMark& stackMark, Boolean throwOnFileNotFound, Boolean forIntrospection) +0
    System.Reflection.Assembly.nLoad(AssemblyName fileName, String codeBase, Evidence assemblySecurity, Assembly locationHint, StackCrawlMark& stackMark, Boolean throwOnFileNotFound, Boolean forIntrospection) +43
    System.Reflection.Assembly.InternalLoad(AssemblyName assemblyRef, Evidence assemblySecurity, StackCrawlMark& stackMark, Boolean forIntrospection) +127
    System.Reflection.Assembly.InternalLoad(String assemblyString, Evidence assemblySecurity, StackCrawlMark& stackMark, Boolean forIntrospection) +142
    System.Reflection.Assembly.Load(String assemblyString) +28
    System.Web.Configuration.CompilationSection.LoadAssemblyHelper(String assemblyName, Boolean starDirective) +46

[ConfigurationErrorsException: Could not load file or assembly 'ChilkatDotNet2, Version=9.2.1.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=eb5fc1fc52ef09bd' or one of its dependencies. Failed to grant minimum permission requests. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x80131417)]
    System.Web.Configuration.CompilationSection.LoadAssemblyHelper(String assemblyName, Boolean starDirective) +613
    System.Web.Configuration.CompilationSection.LoadAllAssembliesFromAppDomainBinDirectory() +203
    System.Web.Configuration.CompilationSection.LoadAssembly(AssemblyInfo ai) +105
    System.Web.Compilation.BuildManager.GetReferencedAssemblies(CompilationSection compConfig) +178
    System.Web.Compilation.BuildProvidersCompiler..ctor(VirtualPath configPath, Boolean supportLocalization, String outputAssemblyName) +54
    System.Web.Compilation.ApplicationBuildProvider.GetGlobalAsaxBuildResult(Boolean isPrecompiledApp) +232
    System.Web.Compilation.BuildManager.CompileGlobalAsax() +51
    System.Web.Compilation.BuildManager.EnsureTopLevelFilesCompiled() +337

[HttpException (0x80004005): Could not load file or assembly 'ChilkatDotNet2, Version=9.2.1.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=eb5fc1fc52ef09bd' or one of its dependencies. Failed to grant minimum permission requests. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x80131417)]
    System.Web.Compilation.BuildManager.ReportTopLevelCompilationException() +58
    System.Web.Compilation.BuildManager.EnsureTopLevelFilesCompiled() +512
    System.Web.Hosting.HostingEnvironment.Initialize(ApplicationManager appManager, IApplicationHost appHost, IConfigMapPathFactory configMapPathFactory, HostingEnvironmentParameters hostingParameters) +729

[HttpException (0x80004005): Could not load file or assembly 'ChilkatDotNet2, Version=9.2.1.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=eb5fc1fc52ef09bd' or one of its dependencies. Failed to grant minimum permission requests. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x80131417)]
    System.Web.HttpRuntime.FirstRequestInit(HttpContext context) +8921851
    System.Web.HttpRuntime.EnsureFirstRequestInit(HttpContext context) +85
    System.Web.HttpRuntime.ProcessRequestInternal(HttpWorkerRequest wr) +259

Andy

19. ComputerMan

ComputerMan Winhost Staff

20. Success at last

Computer.Man
    Thats great, the thing is working!!!!!, now what I need is a timer that will ping the site to keep the ASP.Net session alive, as the reports and email side of the app needs this function, otherwise it stops when the pool is reset?

Please let me have suggestions as to how to achieve this
    Andy

21. Elshadriel

Elshadriel Winhost Staff

22. Success

Elshadriel
    Got this thing up and running finally, the code on the KB article was bad, ie it did not work till I debugged it remotely, but now all is well. thanks for all the help.
    Andy

23. Elshadriel

Elshadriel Winhost Staff

Hi Andy,

Which Knowledge Base article are you referring to? If there's a problem, we'll review it and fix it. Thanks.

24. Last edited by a moderator: Oct 14, 2015