Insane Number of Page Views...

Discussion in 'General troubleshooting' started by tjacoby, Jun 7, 2010.

1. I just received my weekly search engine optimization report and I noticed that one page on my site, http://www.tomjacoby.net/home/CLCounter.aspx, has received over 150,000 page views in the past week. I also use Google Analytics and it reports that I have received 365 page views over the same timespan, so what do I believe?

My page uses AJAX in a couple spots, one that auto-updates every couple of seconds, which may account for number of hits reported by your stats engine. However, the report also indicated that the page pulled over 500MB of bandwidth over that timespan. I believe the entire page is under 100k, so where is the bandwidth usage coming from? The AJAX postbacks only update a little bit of text, not images or anything like that.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

2. Well I adjusted how often the AJAX postback occurs, so hopefully it will help curb the data usage. Going over the report a bit closer, it seems most of the bandwidth usage was by me :/ I gotta stop parking on my own site I guess!

3. Always trust the stats run against the raw server logs (SmarterStats) over Google Analytics. They will always be more accurate. As you know, GA uses a javascript include on the site to report back and create the stats. The stats that we provide are parsing the raw server logs to create the reports, so they can't miss anything.

I found when I tried GA a while back that it was reporting about half the traffic the raw server logs were. So while GA is interesting and some of the data is useful, it is not accurate as far as traffic is concerned.

4. Yes but hank with SmarterStats if i have multiple domains on the one account linked together by URL rewrites i am not able to monitor each individual domain.

Is there a solution to this?

5. Ray

Ray

No I'm afraid not. The only way to monitor the different domain names is to setup them up as there own site account. But of course this will mean you will incur additional cost which understandably most of our customers are trying to avoid.

6. Thanks for your help Ray :)

Oh well google analytics will have to do :)