index.php is not loaded by default!

Discussion in 'General troubleshooting' started by abdawoud, Oct 18, 2012.

1. Hello..

Sorry if I'm asking in the wrong place, but I really need your help.

I logged in using ftp details I got from you and I didn't found the public_html directory, anyway, I assumed I'm in the public_html and uploaded my files. everything goes okay but index.php is not loaded by default! when I check my site: www.mysite.com it display the tree of all files, but when I enter: www.mysite.com/index.php it display my site!

Another problem, it seems that .htacess file isn't enabled since I tried to create it and add this line: DirectoryIndex index.php but nothing changed!

I need .htacess file since I want to prevent people from entering specific directory..

Please, help...

2. Default.aspx not loading either

Me too, similar...

I just updated my site and the root domain name, www.mysite.com no longer defaults to the starting page Default.aspx. But if I goto www.mysite.com/default.aspx it displays fine. Do I need IIS Manager to update this?

3. Those are both things you'll find on a *nix server, not a Windows server. Winhost runs Windows servers.

No .php index files are included in the default documents. Default documents can be set using IIS Manager.

default.aspx is a default document, but it's the last one in the list. If you have any of the other default documents in your root directory along with default.aspx, they will be displayed and default.aspx will not.

You can rearrange the default document list, or remove those that you don't use.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2015
  4. Thanks for the helpful information. I don't know how to set new default document using IIS Manager, but I solved the the issue by making index.asp that redirect to index.php
    This solution works for now, I'm going to explore IIS later

Thanks again

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 14, 2015
  5. Elshadriel

Elshadriel Winhost Staff

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 14, 2015
  6. Fixed.