IIS 7 Trusted Providers

Discussion in 'General troubleshooting' started by kwan, Feb 11, 2010.

1. Please help!

Using IIS 7 Manager, I should be able to add providers or view and select providers based on what is in my config file; currently I am not able to do that.

The manage roles option in the IIS Manager gives an error about not having a trusted provider. To add a trusted provider, the management element must be added to the config file.

Below is a sample of my config file. However, after adding the information below I received another error that the 'management section' is missing a section declaration. Note: this happen when IIS loads the config file. According to the IIS documentation the management element can contain the authentication, authorization and trustedproviders elements. I am not sure what is causing the error.

Thanks in advance for your help.

<system.webServer>
    <management>
    <authentication defaultProvider="ConfigurationAuthenticationProvider">
    <providers>
    <add name="ConfigurationAuthenticationProvider"
    type="Microsoft.Web.Management.Server.ConfigurationAuthenticationProvider, Microsoft.Web.Management, Version=7.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=31bf3856ad364e35" />
    </providers>
    </authentication>
    <authorization defaultProvider="ConfigurationAuthorizationProvider">
    <providers>
    <add name="ConfigurationAuthorizationProvider"
    type="Microsoft.Web.Management.Server.ConfigurationAuthorizationProvider, Microsoft.Web.Management, Version=7.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=31bf3856ad364e35" />
    </providers>
    </authorization>
    <trustedProviders allowUntrustedProviders="true">
    <add type="System.Web.Security.SqlMembershipProvider, System.Web, Version=2.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b03f5f7f11d50a3a" />
    <add type="System.Web.Security.SqlRoleProvider, System.Web, Version=2.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b03f5f7f11d50a3a" />
    <add type="System.Web.Security.WindowsTokenRoleProvider, System.Web, Version=2.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b03f5f7f11d50a3a" />
    </trustedProviders>
    </management>
    </system.webServer>

2. Ray

Ray

When you state " add providers" are you referring to ASP.Net membership providers?

3. Ray thanks for responding.

Yes I am trying to add asp.net membership providers, but I am not able to get that far. I can see a link to set default provider and another to add roles.

4. Ray

Ray

As far as I know the providers are not set on IIS but in the ASP.Net Tools on your visual studio.

There is a providers module on IIS 7 but that is not delegated down to the customer level and that module is used to define basic connection strings values. Values that can be over written with your web.config file.