how to put pre developed dotnetnuke site into winhost

Discussion in 'Site Programming, Development and Design' started by andihaviari, Feb 15, 2011.

1. Hi, im a newbie on Winhost. I have a dotnetnuke site that ive completed on my pc, now i dont know how to put it online on Winhost, i've already bought the domain and host.

thnx a lot

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 14, 2015
  2. Ray

Ray

3. i have uploaded it but i think i didnt correctly setup the database. I have created a new one and tried to restore it using the dnn database file on Application_data folder but the uploader does not recognize it as e db file to restore.

4. Ray

Ray

Not quite sure I understand you. Did you use the restore tool in the Winhost control panel to upload your database to our SQL server. You cannot simply upload the mdf file which is the database file to the web server and simply try to get your DNN to use it. Also bear in mind that the SQL server and web server are two different hardware. They are not on the same box.

5. yes i did try to use the restore tool but it didnt work.
    I uploaded all files on a folder that i created on the host and then i set it up as an application starting point using the control panel tool. this is what i get when i try to access it :

http://www.wmrc2011.com/dnn/

now, i think its a database problem. Please help me to solve it.

6. Ray

Ray

What do you mean it didn't work? Did you get some error message inside the Winhost control panel? Did you update the connection string?

7. i thought i could restore it using the MDF file on the app_data folder, but it seems its not possible. now im stucked cause if i dont upload my MDF file i cant get any connection string to update.

8. Ray

Ray

If you only have a .MDF file you will need to use the Attached tool in the Winhost control panel, but the attach tool is only available when you are on the Ultimate plan. What will need to be done is to take that .MDF file and restore it on your own local computer. Then with SQL Server Management Studio initiate a backup. This is done through your personal computer. You will get a file which is a backup file of the SQL server and it will end with a .BAK extension. Then you will take that backup file and upload it to the web server where you can use the Restore tool to restore it on our SQL server.

9. thank you, i did that but my local database is SQL server 2008 R2 and i read that Winhost supports versions from 2008 and below...what should i do now?

10. rum

rum Winhost Staff

Please see this KB article for the instructions on how to publish your SQL Server 2008 R2 database to Winhost SQL 2008 Server.