How to point DNS at webapplication?

Discussion in 'DNS/Domain names' started by thomasabcd, Jul 20, 2010.

1. Hi,

I hope you can help me.

I have created two webapplications on my site:
    - mysecondary-Winhost-url.com/prod
    - mysecondary-Winhost-url.com/dev

Now I would like to point the dns for mydomain.com to my prod-webapplication. How do I do that?

thanks
    Thomas

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 14, 2015
  2. Ray

Ray

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 14, 2015
  3. As far as I can tell, that would make the url www.mydomain.com/prod since it is a redirect.

I would like the url to be www.mydomain.com when pointing at the prod-application. Is that possible?

thanks
    Thomas

4. Ray

Ray

5. I already tried using the IIS7 urlrewrite module, but it broke the ajaxcontroltoolkit and other ajax stuff on the site.

If we buy another domain for the development-environment (eg. www.mydomain-dev.com), would that be a better way of separating the two environments? Or would www.mydomain.com and www.mydomain-dev.com both point at the same root-directory?

thanks
    Thomas

6. Ray

Ray

That's another option if you choose to purchase another site account. You may want to make sure you choose the basic plan and pay month to month.

The Basic plan is $4.95 and choosing month to month will afford you the flexibility to cancel the site at any time.

If your budget can afford it, registering for a new site account is much more better because it will give you its own application pool, web space, and ftp user. Your production site will be completely unaffected with what you do with your new site account.

7. ok.

I think that is what we will do.

thanks
    Thomas

8. I have same situation but with MVC (so i have 2 domains that i wont one to point to Dir1 and another to Dir2) but whene i do that then this appears http://www.domain1.com/dir1 and http://www.domain2.com/dir2 how can i remove dir* paths from following situation. sorry form my bad english.

9. Ray

Ray

Have you checked the URL Rewrite module with IIS 7 Manager. On this thread there is a link that will help you understand the URL Rewrite Module.