how do I control e.g. 'Google' entries

Discussion in 'General troubleshooting' started by edkaufmann, Dec 27, 2010.

1. Knowing that this is not a question really related to Winhost; might be you will help me anyway!

my web site (asgbarbaroux.org) is up fine - thanks for the support!

But now I realise, that I get all kind of unwanted google hits when searching for my web site! I'm not familiar at all how this works - I remember vaguely it has to do with meta-tags ...

How can I control this, and if possible, eliminate some of them?! All I would like that only the WEB site is found when googling.

Thanks for your advise, documentation hints etc.
    ed

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 14, 2015
  2. You want to implement a robots.txt file. Meta tags will not keep search engine spiders away from your site.

It's a bit cumbersome to only allow the search engines to crawl your root directory. You have to list all the other directories in your account that you don't want them to crawl and set them to disallow. That site will explain everything.

3. Ray

Ray

4. Hi Ray, Hank,

all I want to do is to prevent, that when e.g. googling using my domain name, to prevent getting even hits of single pages of my site!

will certainly get into meta-tag and the robot.txt business

PS: in fact, I wouldn't even mind if the site is NOT coming up at all on the search engines!

thanks for your time
    ed

5. Ray

Ray

Hmmm, thats the first time someone asked that so sorry for my confusion.

First off you can set the meta tag so that search engines do not index your site.

<META NAME="ROBOTS" CONTENT="NOINDEX, NOFOLLOW">

Additionally you can setup a robot.txt file and have it so that it prevents robots from accessing your site.

User-agent: * Disallow: /

Now, keep in mind that some search engines can still index your site regardless on what you do. So, my personal recommendation if you don't want your site to be pulled up, is to setup a temporary redirect script (302) and have a condition if the call is made to your domain name to be redirected somewhere else. That way you can still pull it up with your secondary URL.

6. Hi Rray, thanks

that's the info I needed to start.
    ed