Hosting using existing domain and mail services

Discussion in 'Pre-sales questions' started by Major Kaos, Jul 25, 2016.

1. Hello experts,

My church website is hosted and mail services provided by a company that only provides those things. However, I need a Windows Server and SQL solution to begin using an application (RockRMS) that will allow check-in and label printing for children. Questions - can I use the existing domain hosted by the other guy by using a subdomain to get to this server (i.e. www.mychurch.org using mychurch.org/CheckIn)? Or, would I need another domain (i.e. www.churchcheckin.org) to host the server on your site? In either case, can I then use the existing mail solution on the other site by just configure the MX records in the app? Thank you!

2. Sure. There are a couple of ways to approach it. First, you could open the account here using the checkin.mychurch.org (or similar) subdomain, then at the other host, set up a CNAME to point to the application here (I believe you'll also have to set up a domain pointer here so the DNS resolves correctly, but support can get you pointed in the right direction as far as that is concerned).

Alternately, you could set up the account here using any domain (it doesn't have to be valid), and use the Secondary Web URL to access the application. The Secondary Web URL would look like: mychurch.w22.wh-2.com. We provide that for testing purposes, but the secondary can be used to access the account here.

As for sending email from the app here, it should work if you configure the app to use the SMTP authentication of the server at the other host. In any event, you can set up here and do testing, and if you run in to any insurmountable problems you could always cancel before 30 days are up and get a full refund.