Hosting one site in the root folder and hosting other sites in subfolders?

Discussion in 'Site Programming, Development and Design' started by danshand, Apr 5, 2014.

1. Hi,

I use my Winhost account (with one "site" in the sense of the Winhost control panel) as a staging site to develop and test several different projects at the same time. I have been doing this by putting each project site in a subdirectory one level under the root directory. As I have added each subdirectory site I just mark the subdirectory as an Application Starting Point in control panel. If I want a subdomain, I just redirect using code in the Default.aspx.vb file in the root folder. So my url for each project site is: mydomain.com/projectsubdirectoryname. This has been working great for me for a long time, but I have not deployed an actual site to the root folder to date.

Now I am setting up a mojoPortal site and I need to set it up with multiple languages. According to mojo documentation the best way is what they call a multi-installation site using subfolders, but for that to work the site must be deployed to the root of the domain/hosting account. I don't want to disturb my other projects in subdirectories, so my question is: Can I also deploy a site to the root along with the other subfolder sites? I can live without any subdomains at the moment, so I don't really need the redirects now in the current root's Default.aspx.vb. So my project in the root would just have the url of my domain and the other sites would continue to keep their old mydomain.com/projectsubdirectoryname? Would there be any conflicts or problems with this setup? Thanks for your help.

Dan

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 14, 2015
  2. I don't see any problem with that. Any other subdirectories being set as application starting points shouldn't be an issue as far as conflicts, etc.

3. Great, thank you.

4. I also keep my app in a subfolder and use a redirect in the default.htm file to redirect traffic there. The problem is that in FireFox the default security setting is to block page redirects, so the user has to manually redirect by clicking a link when using FireFox. Is there a way to implement this so that it doesn't trigger the FireFox page redirect warning? So that when the user types mydomain.com, the page is redirected to mydomain.com/subfolder without generating any security erros in FireFox. I already have the subfolder setup as an app starting point.

The code I use in default.htm to do the redirect is this:

<meta HTTP-EQUIV="REFRESH" content="0; url=/subfolder">

5. Elshadriel

Elshadriel Winhost Staff

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 14, 2015