Help..Madness with colors and formatting?

Discussion in 'Site Programming, Development and Design' started by dshadle, Mar 17, 2012.

1. Ok,

I've messed with this for a while now and it's driving me insane. I don't know why some formatting/colors won't work when I deploy to Winhost when they work fine on my environment. I've tried using common colors like silver and the hex value for light grey but even they won't work. I've changed from using my stylesheet reference to directly on the control and that doesn't work!

This problem even happens with a straight html

I've attached an image of an example control popup on my environment vs the same control deployed to Winhost.

Note that line that doesn't show color is a raw html hr. the code is as follows for the line:
    <td colspan="4"><hr width="100%" style="color:#990000;height:2px;" align="center" /></td>

The panel that doesn't show color is:

<asp:panel ID="panReceiver" runat="server"
    Width="98%" Height="100%" BackColor="#CCCCCC" BorderColor="Silver">

WHY CAN'T I get these colors/formatting?

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 14, 2015
  2. Remember that parsing CSS is a function of the browser, not the server.

If you are using IE8, the issue may be its Compatibility View. By default, sites in your local intranet are rendered in IE7 compatibility view. More info here.

3. It's not a browser compatibility issue

I ruled out browser compaitiblity right away. I have no issue on my environment. Using my same dev box same IE when browsing the site on Winhost the problem occurs.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 14, 2015
  4. I'm sure you did rule out the browser, but you should check out that link anyway, just for laughs.

I'm just trying to save you the trouble of looking for a server-side issue, because that's not how css works. It's something on the page (or in the browser, since you indicate you're using IE, which has the compatibility settings variable which can make for different results in a different environments).

Do you have a link we can see?