Having trouble with log4net

Discussion in 'General troubleshooting' started by BobH, Jan 17, 2014.

1. Hey Everybody,

Have been having trouble getting FileAppender to work. Have the right stuff in global.asax and have successfully written to the root folder on the website. However, it stopped working for no apparent reason...no changes to the web.config or anywhere else other than changing the format of the appender's layout (which works fine locally).

Got an email from support saying that my ACL was changed by VS deployment. Is this the issue? I asked for a reset and followed the knowledge base article to change the project's configuration, but I keep seeing an error in the xml file that says <includesetaclproviderondestination> is not a valid child tag for <propertygroup>.

Am I missing something? These logs are really critical for me to debug some intermittent errors.

TIA,
    Bob

2. ComputerMan

ComputerMan Winhost Staff

Where exactly are you getting this error message? Are you getting this error on Visual Studio when deploying? What version of Visual Studio are you using?

Maybe our blog post article regarding on How to stop Web Deploy/MSBuild from messing up server permissions. Might be able to help you out and add more information to your problem.

In regards to your ACL question . Contact support department or send me a PM with your domain name and I can check your site account to see if the ACL permissions got misconfigured.

"Got an email from support saying that my ACL was changed by VS deployment. Is this the issue?"

It's a issue if you're trying to write to anywhere on your site account. When you misconfigured the ACL permissions. You will no longer have write access to any of the files on your site account. For example if you try to upload a file and it's not working. It's a good chance the ACL permissions got misconfigured when you used web deploy. That's why we provide you with the following knowledge base article as well as our blog post article above to prevent this from happening again.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 14, 2015