Forward to GMail account?

Discussion in 'Email' started by Sleepwalker, Jun 9, 2011.

1. I have setup the email account "[email protected]" to forward to my personal GMail address. The mail has arrived in the SmarterMail interface, but GMail has yet to notify of a new email. It doesn't seem to be working at all, is there a reason for this?

Thanks in advance.

2. Elshadriel

Elshadriel Winhost Staff

I took a quick look, and I don't see that you've created an email account or alias for support.

3. I deleted the email accounts after they weren't working, but I can assure you, I am still yet to receive the forwarded mail.

4. Did you send the test message from a Gmail account?

5. The reason Chuck asks is because when an alias forwards to a Gmail account, you cannot send mail to that alias from the Gmail account.

The messages do not bounce - when we have checked logs in the past they indicate that the messages are successfully accepted by Gmail - but once they are on the Gmail server, the messages disappear. You can demonstrate this by sending mail to the alias from a non-Gmail account.

We sent a bug report to Google but they do not consider this to be expected behavior. Their response; "...messages you send to a mailing list that you subscribe to and messages you send to an email address that is automatically forwarding your mail to Gmail, only appear in Sent Mail."

6. Thanks for that information Hank, managed to get it working.