File Manager

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by epiraux, Jul 27, 2010.

1. epiraux

epiraux Wallonman

It would be nice to have a file manager in the control panel. Especially to zip/unzip in order to facilitate files transfers.

E.

MahMah2 likes this.
  2. Ray

Ray

I'll make sure to bring that up to our managers. Thanks for the suggestion.

3. +1 Vote

That's reasonable, because upload of a whole web site by files through FTP is so very slow.

Whould be great to have facility to upload whole site by single zip-file and after unpack it on the server side.

MahMah2 likes this.
  4. Ray

Ray

The unzipping files on the server is really difficult to accommodate especially on a shared hosting environment. Uploading a zip file then unzipping it on the server bypasses many of the security we have placed on the systems and servers to protect our customers accounts and website.

5. Whoa - deja vu!

Also, aside from the security concerns, zip file decompression on a Windows server tends to be a bit of a resource hog. So there are performance issues to consider as well. While we could introduce a file manager at some point, I think it's pretty unlikely that we'll ever allow zip/unzip on the server.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2015
  6. I would definitely like to be able to utilize a Web Based file Manager especially in instances where firewalls on certain networks completely block all outbound traffic except for standard Http traffic such as over ports 80 and 443.

In addition, a web based file manager would be especially convenient if working on other computers where an FTP client is not currently installed or if software policies prevent such installations on client computers/workstations.

It would be really cool if we could download a zipped file of our entire site in a manner similar to being able to download GMail Attachments as a single zipped file. This would be especiallly useful when going through an upgrade/overhaul of the current system deployed on production such as upgrading from a previous version of a CMS to a newer version of a CMS. Being able to download the entire site as a zipped up file would reduce the time needed to download the entire site to a development workstation for the upgrade.

MahMah2 likes this.