feature request - stored procedures or cron

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by horsted, Apr 4, 2010.

1. Hi,

I've already asked about whether Winhost supports stored procedures (it doesn't), and was disappointed to learn that it isn't in the "to do" list at the present time, although I believe it is agreed that it would be good to add it at some point.

All that I doing in this post is formalising a request for it. If you would like it too, then please add your name to this thread.

I'll be just as happy with cron.

Thank you.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 14, 2015
  2. Ray

Ray

Stored procedures are supported but it all depends on what you are trying to do in the stored procedure.

For security and performance reasons we cannot support SQL programming or scheduled jobs on our shared SQL hosting, but if you need to run TSQL commands such as dropping and creating a table this should not be a problem.

3. I meant scheduled tasks rather than stored procedures - would like to pretend that it was a one-off but I repeated the mistake in the post so clearly I am an idiot rather than just a poor typist!

4. Ray

Ray

Sorry at this time Scheduled Task is not offered. Our managers and developers are in talks about it however I cannot give you an official time frame on when this will be offered.

5. Is this still true? You can't run stored procedures to select,insert or update data?

6. Ray

Ray

No, no, you can run stored procedures to run select,insert or update data, but some stored procedure call on the CLR which we do not support. Plus some customers want to setup the store procedures to run under the schedule job function within SQL, that too we do not support. And some store procedures are coded to send email through the SQL servers SMTP service. We have disabled the SQL servers SMTP service.

So stored procedures are enabled but some things you can do with it are not and those are the features that we have disabled such as SMTP, scheduled jobs, and CLR programming.

7. Thanks for clearing that up.