error when restoring .bak file

Discussion in 'Databases' started by 0010757, Feb 18, 2011.

1. [​IMG]

Hello, I cannot restore this aspnetdb database. Can you please tell me what is wrong with it?

Also, I tried the other method.
    https://support.Winhost.com/KB/a694...2008-database-to-Winhost-sql-2008-server.aspx

SQL Manager doesn't have the Publish to Provider option installed on my machine and I don't know where to get it, so under Tasks, I choose Generate Scripts and create a script called aspnetdb.sql

I open the database in SQL Server Management Studio 2008 and click File/Open File and navigate to the SQL script I created. In step 3 of your instructions, it asks me to type the SQL database name provided in Control panel under site info. There is no dialog box open at this moment. All I have done in step 2 is navigate to the sql script I created. Can you tell me what part I am missing here?

I put the script on our server at http://www.interpassltd.com/tiny_epub/error.bmp

Is it possible to run it from the server? Given these two items, is there anything we can do to get this database attached to the SQL Server on your system? Thanks!

Jan

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 14, 2015
  2. Ray

Ray

3. Thanks for your prompt response. Yes, I did read that article. For some reason, my software doesn't offer me the same options as described in the article. For example, I do not have a choice for Publish to Provider in Visual Studio 2008 and I do not have either of the other products installed. So, I will try to drop the SQL Server 2008 R2 back to SQL Server 2008 (no R2) and try the .bak instructions again. Thanks!

4. Ray

Ray

The Database Publishing Wizard is really a separate tool and can be downloaded manually, you'll just have to search the Internet for it.

But if you want you can manually run the script using SSMS. Here's what you'll need to do.

Open SSMS and point to your local database.

1. Right click on the database and go to Tasks/Generate Script.

2. This will open the SQL Server Script Wizard, click next and make sure you select the appropriate database.

3. Click on "Script all objects in the selected database" and click next.

4. On the Choose Script Options section make sure you mark True for the following elements.
    --Include if not Exists
    --Script Data
    --Script Triggers
    Then click Next.

5. On the Output Option choose Script to File and make sure you save it to somewhere you can find it. Choose Single File and Unicode Text, then click Next.

6. Click Finish.

This will run the scripting wizard and generate the .sql file for you where you can than run it against our SQL server.

When you open the .sql file you generated you will see at the top..

USE [database name]

Make sure you change it to the database name on our SQL server.

5. so back to the scripting way of doing things. Just to clarify. The sequence of menus does not match your instructions. I excute the first two groups of steps to create a .sql file from my database.

http://support.Winhost.com/KB/a694/...inhost-sql-2008-server.aspx?KBSearchID=259539

Then I begin these instructions.

To run the script that will publish your database to our SQL 2008 Server you will use SQL Server Management Studio Express or SQL Server 2008. Follow the steps below to publish the database to the Winhost SQL 2008 Server:

1. Open your database in SQL Server Management Studio 2008. OK

2. Click File/Open/File and navigate to the SQL script you just created from your SQL Server.
    WHEN I NAVIGATE HERE, I AM OFFERED A CHANCE TO OPEN MY SCRIPT. SHOULD I DO THAT? WHERE DO I ENTER THE INFORMATION IN THE NEXT INSTRUCTION?

3.Type the SQL database name provided for you in Control Panel under Site Info Manager/MS SQL 2008/Manage.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    4.Choose SQL Server Authentication in the "Authentication" drop down box.
    5. Input your database login and password from Control Panel (see #3).
    6. Once the script is opened, navigate to the very top of the page and type:
    USE [database name] (without the brackets)
    GO
    7. Click the "Execute" button.

Thanks!

6. Ray

Ray

Just to clarify you can script your database in two ways. The KB article is specifically for Visual Studio that has Database Publishing Wizard installed. The second way is through SSMS and we do not have a KB article for that. Using SSMS is a little more powerful because you have more options to script with but it is a little more complicated.