Error installing DNN Community Edition 5.2.3

Discussion in 'Third-party applications' started by red5web, Mar 12, 2010.

1. Hello, I keep getting the following message when trying to access my site:

HTTP Error 404.0 - Not Found
    The resource you are looking for has been removed, had its name changed, or is temporarily unavailable.

All DNN files are present in the root and the web config file has been configured as shown in the FAQ. Can someone point me in the right direction ?

Thanks

2. Ray

Ray

Whats the full error message? In a 404 error message it will typically give you a path on what it is looking for and cannot find.

3. Ray

Ray

This error is actually misleading because your application is throwing an application error and it is trying to look for a custom error page to display. It cannot find it and thus gives a 404 error message. Disable your custom error handling on your web application. This will allow us to see the true error message and we can move on from there.

4. Here is what I get without the error handling:

Server Error in '/' Application.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Runtime Error
    Description: An application error occurred on the server. The current custom error settings for this application prevent the details of the application error from being viewed remotely (for security reasons). It could, however, be viewed by browsers running on the local server machine.

Details: To enable the details of this specific error message to be viewable on remote machines, please create a <customErrors> tag within a "web.config" configuration file located in the root directory of the current web application. This <customErrors> tag should then have its "mode" attribute set to "Off".

<!-- Web.Config Configuration File -->

<configuration>
    <system.web>
    <customErrors mode="Off"/>
    </system.web>
    </configuration>

Notes: The current error page you are seeing can be replaced by a custom error page by modifying the "defaultRedirect" attribute of the application's <customErrors> configuration tag to point to a custom error page URL.

<configuration>
    <system.web>
    <customErrors mode="RemoteOnly" defaultRedirect="mycustompage.htm"/>
    </system.web>
    </configuration>

5. Ray

Ray

No, you still haven't fully turned off your custom error.. This message state so and gives you instructions on how to fully turn it off.

<configuration>
    <system.web>
    <customErrors mode="Off"/>
    </system.web>
    </configuration>

Notes: The current error page you are seeing can be replaced by a custom error page by modifying the "defaultRedirect" attribute of the application's <customErrors> configuration tag to point to a custom error page URL.

<configuration>
    <system.web>
    <customErrors mode="RemoteOnly" defaultRedirect="mycustompage.htm"/>
    </system.web>
    </configuration>

6. Thanks Ray, here is what comes up now:

Server Error in '/' Application.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
    Description: An unhandled exception occurred during the execution of the current web request. Please review the stack trace for more information about the error and where it originated in the code.

Exception Details: System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.

Source Error:

An unhandled exception was generated during the execution of the current web request. Information regarding the origin and location of the exception can be identified using the exception stack trace below.

Stack Trace:

[NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.]
    DotNetNuke.Entities.Portals.PortalSettings..ctor(Int32 tabID, PortalAliasInfo objPortalAliasInfo) +48
    DotNetNuke.HttpModules.UrlRewriteModule.OnBeginRequest(Object s, EventArgs e) +2969
    System.Web.SyncEventExecutionStep.System.Web.HttpApplication.IExecutionStep.Execute() +68
    System.Web.HttpApplication.ExecuteStep(IExecutionStep step, Boolean& completedSynchronously) +75

Version Information: Microsoft .NET Framework Version:2.0.50727.4200; ASP.NET Version:2.0.50727.4016

7. Ray

Ray

Have you uploaded the objects and schema from DNN to our SQL server? DNN relies heavily on a SQL Database and most initial calls will perform a connection to the database and intance the objects DNN use with the objects on the SQL database.

8. No, I only followed the steps layed out in the FAQ. Not sure about objects and schema and exactly what/where to upload (newbie to DNN) is there a guide for this ?

Thanks

9. Ray

Ray

DNN should have an install folder, go to that and I believe it has a install.aspx file you can run to help run the db objects on the SQL database. Bear in mind that you should make sure you setup the proper connection string to our SQL server.

10. Thanks again for your help, I was able to open the install folder, but upon launching the install.aspx folder, I got the same error as above :(

11. Ray

Ray

If you don't have anything in your site/root, try deleting everyting and reuploading the DNN application again. It maybe that you already have something set on DNN. Really DNN is a complicated web application and going through the codes to find what object it is calling can be intensive. If possible starting again from scratch is much more efficient.