emailing from asp.net

Discussion in 'Site Programming, Development and Design' started by ranD, Aug 30, 2010.

1. q - is full trust required for sending SMTP messages within asp.net?
    q - does Winhost.com require any <mailSettings> within web.config?
    q - does Winhost.com require the NetworkCredential to be postmaster@domainName?

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 14, 2015
  2. Ray

Ray

It depends on what component or application you are using. Regularly not. The ASP.Net method system.net.mail should work in medium trust.

No, you can hard code the mail settings directly into the application, but bear in mind we do require SMTP authentication to be passed.

As long as it is a valid POP3 account on our system it will work.

3. Ok, so here is my problem - I upgraded a site from ASP.NET 2.0 to ASP.NET 4.0. I changed the configuration of <mailSettings> within web.config to what I hoped would match the requirements of the Winhost.com SMTP server. Then I uploaded the site to a new account with Winhost.com. When I tried to send a message from http://daddis.net/contact-us.aspx, I got the following error:

Server Error in '/' Application.

Description: The application attempted to perform an operation not allowed by the security policy. To grant this application the required permission please contact your system administrator or change the application's trust level in the configuration file.

Exception Details: System.Security.SecurityException: Request for the permission of type 'System.Security.Permissions.FileIOPermission, mscorlib, Version=4.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089' failed.

Next, I removed the <mailSettings> from web.config and changed contact-us.aspx.cs to include the following:

Code:
    using System.Net;
    using System.Net.Mail;
    private void SendMail()
            {
                MailMessage message = new MailMessage();
                message.IsBodyHtml = false;
                message.From = new MailAddress(txtEmail.Text.Trim(), txtName.Text.Trim());
                message.To.Add(new MailAddress(Globals.Settings.ContactForm.MailTo.Trim()));
                if (!string.IsNullOrEmpty(Globals.Settings.ContactForm.MailCC))
                { message.CC.Add(new MailAddress(Globals.Settings.ContactForm.MailCC.Trim())); }
                message.Subject = string.Format(Globals.Settings.ContactForm.MailSubject.Trim(), txtSubject.Text.Trim());
                message.Body = txtWebsite.Text.Trim() + " " + txtBody.Text.Trim();

SmtpClient smtp = new SmtpClient("mail.daddis.net");
                try
                {

NetworkCredential Credentials = new NetworkCredential("[email protected]", "xxxx");
                    smtp.Credentials = Credentials;
                    smtp.Send(message); 

// redirect the user to the email confirmation page
                    this.Response.Redirect("~/Email-Confirmation.aspx", true);

//Exception contains information on each failed recipient

}
                catch (SmtpFailedRecipientsException recExc)
                {
                    // DEVNOTE: may be possible that some of the recipients succeeded and others failed
                    for (int recipient = 0; recipient < recExc.InnerExceptions.Length - 1; recipient++)
                    {
                        SmtpStatusCode statusCode;
                        //Each InnerException is an System.Net.Mail.SmtpFailed RecipientException
                        statusCode = recExc.InnerExceptions[recipient].StatusCode;

if ((statusCode == SmtpStatusCode.MailboxBusy) ||
                            (statusCode == SmtpStatusCode.MailboxUnavailable))
                        {
                            //Log this to event log: recExc.InnerExceptions[recipient].FailedRecipient
                            System.Threading.Thread.Sleep(5000);

smtp.Send(message);
                        }
                        else
                        {
                            //
                            // TODO: Log error: recExc.InnerExceptions[recipient].StatusCode or use statusCode
                            //
                            SendFailed(recExc.Message);
                        }

}
                }
                //General SMTP execptions
                catch (SmtpException smtpExc)
                {
                    // TODO: Log error to event log using StatusCode information in
                    //smtpExc.StatusCode
                    SendFailed(smtpExc.Message);
                }
                catch (Exception ex)
                {
                    // TODO: Log error to event log.
                    SendFailed(ex.Message);
                }
            }

private void SendFailed(string msg)
            {
                lblStatusOK.Visible = false;
                lblStatusKO.Visible = true;
                // TODO: log error
                throw new Exception(msg);
            }
    I am still getting the same error message:

Server Error in '/' Application.

Description: The application attempted to perform an operation not allowed by the security policy. To grant this application the required permission please contact your system administrator or change the application's trust level in the configuration file.

Exception Details: System.Security.SecurityException: Request for the permission of type 'System.Security.Permissions.FileIOPermission, mscorlib, Version=4.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089' failed.
    Stack Trace:

[SecurityException: Request for the permission of type 'System.Security.Permissions.FileIOPermission, mscorlib, Version=4.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089' failed.]
    System.Configuration.TypeUtil.GetTypeWithReflectionPermission(IInternalConfigHost host, String typeString, Boolean throwOnError) +669054
    System.Configuration.RuntimeConfigurationFactory.Init(RuntimeConfigurationRecord configRecord, FactoryRecord factoryRecord) +25
    System.Configuration.RuntimeConfigurationFactory.InitWithRestrictedPermissions(RuntimeConfigurationRecord configRecord, FactoryRecord factoryRecord) +90
    System.Configuration.RuntimeConfigurationRecord.CreateSectionFactory(FactoryRecord factoryRecord) +58
    System.Configuration.BaseConfigurationRecord.FindAndEnsureFactoryRecord(String configKey, Boolean& isRootDeclaredHere) +131

4. Ray

Ray

5. In my latest attempt, I stripped the try...catch block along with the exception processing code. Here is the latest version:

Code:
    using System.Net;
    using System.Net.Mail;
    private void SendMail()
    {
         MailMessage message = new MailMessage();
        message.IsBodyHtml = false;
        message.From = new MailAddress(txtEmail.Text.Trim(), txtName.Text.Trim());
        message.To.Add(new MailAddress(Globals.Settings.ContactForm.MailTo.Trim()));
        if (!string.IsNullOrEmpty(Globals.Settings.ContactForm.MailCC))
        { message.CC.Add(new MailAddress(Globals.Settings.ContactForm.MailCC.Trim())); }
        message.Subject = string.Format(Globals.Settings.ContactForm.MailSubject.Trim(), txtSubject.Text.Trim());
        message.Body = txtWebsite.Text.Trim() + " " + txtBody.Text.Trim();

SmtpClient smtp = new SmtpClient("mail.daddis.net");
        NetworkCredential Credentials = new NetworkCredential("[email protected]", "xxx");
        smtp.Credentials = Credentials;
        smtp.Send(message);

// redirect the user to the email confirmation page
        this.Response.Redirect("~/Email-Confirmation.aspx", true);
    }
    I am still getting the same trust-level error message, but I am not convinced that is the problem.

I have used this code on several hosts in the past without having to elevate the trust level.

Does the control panel have a tool that I can use to check the ACL assignments to my site's file system?

6. Ray

Ray

Did you change the trust level? I see this error mostly related to trust level and not the NTFS permission. Log into the server using IIS 7 Manager.

Read this kb article.

http://support.Winhost.com/KB/a628/using-the-microsoft-iis-70-manager.aspx

Once you are connected, look for the button that is labeled Trust Level. Set the trust level to Medium, save it, then set it back to Full, then save it.