Duplicating Database on WinHost

Discussion in 'Databases' started by condado, Jan 15, 2012.

1. Hi,

I have a database uploaded to the Winhost server, and I'd like to reuse the same structure for a second site that will be hosted on Winhost: what is the easiest way to transfer those database files back to my local hard drive---so that I can rename the database, clear the data, re-use that same database structure I'd originally created, and upload to a new folder on Winhost?

It's been a while since I uploaded that database to the server ---I'm a little rusty....Can't even figure out how to access those files using an FTP explorer application (keep getting error messages that it can't connect to Winhost).

Thanks,
    Condado

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 14, 2015
  2. Is it a MySQL or MS SQL database?

3. Thanks, it's MS SQL Studio Express. Can I just copy and paste the data file and it's log (and just rename them)?

4. rum

rum Winhost Staff

No, you cannot copy and paste SQL Server database data and log files as they are not regular binary files and can contain open transactions. You need to backup your local database with MS Management Studio, transfer the backup with .bak extension to your site, and use SQL Management tools in your Winhost control panel to restore this backup to your Winhost database. Please see this article for more details.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 14, 2015